Any thoughts on buying a house near the projects at Alemany and Ellsworth in Bernal Heights?

Asked by Joni, 94133 Tue Nov 6, 2007

Compared to my current neighborhood (North Beach), the crime rate is quite a bit lower, but I believe the property isn't selling because of its proximity to these projects. Any other considerations for buying a house in this area?

Answers

4
Mary Fenton, , San Francisco, CA
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi Joni. That side of the hill is defintely considered less desirable, but the fact is that it is also less expensive. Homes definitely stay on the market a bit longer and don't have the kind of competition a home closer to Cortland or on the north side might have.

I think it depends on the block; do a drive by at various times and see how you feel. I sold a duplex on Crescent earlier this year and it was a wonderful block with great neighbors. Take a look around at how the other homes are maintained; that will give you an idea about who your neighbors are.

Also, the San Francisco government website has something called crime maps; it maps out and categorizes every crime committed in the neighborhood. You should check that out.

Are you talking about the home on Ellsworth? I saw it awhile back and am surprised it hasn't sold. It is a good home.
Adam Toups, , San Francisco, CA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I have heard thru others in the real estate community that there have been instances of windows being broken from batteries being thrown from the low income housing project. Just keep in mind that if it is a concern of yours it will probably be a concern of others when its time to sell.
Web Reference:  http://www.adamtoups.com
Veronica Gar…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Hello Joni,

About a year ago I represented a buyer on a home purchase on Banks Street. She has never had a problem with crime in the area. She too interviewed neighbors on the block. No one reported anything unusual. I also have many friends who live on that side of Bernal Hill and have never had a problem.

I suggest going on line to the San Francisco Police Department to do your own research of how much crime is reported in the area in addition to what types of crimes.
Charlie Mader, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Hi Joni;

I just sold a house on Nevada and while a concern, crime wasn't really an issue. The buyer and I talked with several neighbors on the block and the biggest concern was parking.