First, when you buy a bank owned home, it is "AS IS." So careful examination is very important.
Yes, with mold the lawyers and the hazmat suits come out all of the time.Insurance companies run for the hill if there is any hint of it being a problem. By the way if the insurance companies shun the house it is an all cash deal, the lenders cannot lend on it.
Basically what we have here is litigation based hysteria, with exceptions.
First of all the most common mold "black" and this is the bad one. It is in almost every house, and if it is not in there now it soon will be. You can not find a drain in a house older than a couple years old that does not have black mold growing in it.
Black mold is only dangerous if it is dry and inhaled, other than that it will not hurt you.
***You especially want to avoid small babies from breathing this in, it can kill them in a matter of hours.
The fact is it only grows where it is wet, so it is almost always wet, and so does not present a problem. Most often it is a problem when it is in a carpet, because it drys out and then becomes airborne from traffic.
Being that every house has it, I guess the lawyers want us all to move into our cars or something right?
In the case of the walls of the bank owned homes, I have been in hundreds of bank owned homes and they all have mold on the wall. Close examination will many times reveal if it is in the wall or not. But remember, you have to breath it in for it to be a problem, if it is in the wall it represent a problem if more moisture gets in the wall allowing it to be a breeding ground for more mold.
If it is in the wall, the drywall should be removed and studs treated. Chlorine is a great treatment or you can buy chemicals for this purpose. You can also paint the studs with mold resistant paint.
In general, you can carefully treat mold with Chlorine, or with one of the many products they have for this purpose. I have found the hand held steam cleaners are about the best thing to use.
So if you are buying a house, make sure that consider the cost of fixing the mold problems before buying it.
When selling a house, it is important to be sure to take care of all mold before putting it on the market. Otherwise your home could get flagged as a deadly home that needs $100,000 worth of Hazmat crews wearing masks and protective gear, to fix the mold before you can not sell your house. Sounds far fetched. I have seen it happen.
1. All homes have mold
2. Mold is only dangerous if it drays and is inhaled.
3. Mold usually can be fixed by mixing water and chlorine and spraying it on the mold.
4. Mold grows in water so you must solve the moisture problem first. But once you do it can then dry out so at that point you must get rid of the mold.
5. And most important, if you have small babies, be very sure deal with all black mold anywhere in your house.
6. If you shampoo your carpet, be sure to air it out very well until dry and then vacuum it out again once it is dry.