I have two broken leases on my credit because I became unemployed at the beginning of 2010

Asked by Kelly Martin, Austin, TX Fri Jul 1, 2011

My recent history is a year and a half with a good payment record...what question do I ask the apartment to see if they will accept my application?

Answers

5
John Crowe, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jul 1, 2011
Good options below, especially the reminder to be honest and upfront. Another idea to consider is paying in advance - maybe 2-3 months rent or more - as an insurance policy.

I had a tenant with some rough history and used this method. She paid 3 months in advance plus an inflated rent (10% more) for months 4-6. By that point, she had established herself as a solid tenant, built up a nice safety net for me and I was comfortable returning to a normal pay schedule.
Web Reference:  http://www.crowehomes.com
Robert H. Ne…, , Austin, TX
Fri Jul 1, 2011
Kely,

I agree with my peers. Don't try to hide the broken leases.

The only thing that I would add is to have documentation readily available that shows your recent payment history that is in good order. This shows that you are back on the right track.

If you need further assistance....call or email anytime.

Enjoy the 4th.

Robert H. Nelson
Broker and owner
The Associates Austin
512.517.4432
robert@highway290west.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Fri Jul 1, 2011
Just ask.....tell them your situation. If you can find out your credit score, that might help too.
Take copies of your credit report.
Take copies of you cancelled checks or rent receipts that show you have paid on time every time.
Take proof of income.
Take a couple of letters of reference. Maybe one from current landlord and one from your employer.
Offer double deposit.
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jul 1, 2011
Just be honest. If you try to cover something like that up it will be found out and you will lose all credibility. Be honest and upfront with prospective landlords and apartments and you will have the best shot.

Best of luck to you.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker | Consultant
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Jul 1, 2011
Try to find an Apartment or house that is owned by an Individual, not a Management Company:

Explain your predicament; be open and honest, it will get you farther.

Do everything you can to honor your agreement with them; it may be your last stop.

Good luck and may God bless