Credit Scores Check...

Asked by Ronnie, Philadelphia, PA Mon Jun 2, 2008

Current;y, I have no idea what my credit scores are. I've been assuming all these years that it is great since I don't miss any bill payments, and I have no credit card debt; I also have credit payment history of a period well over 5 years, and I've never made a late payment. Is there anyplace I can get my credit score for FREE? I plan on getting pre-approval soon, and would like to know what my score if before the mortgage lender does. Thanks!

Answers

11
Vincent Leon…, Home Buyer, Philadelphia, PA
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Clarifi is a non profit that specializes in this sort of thing. I have included the link below. Best of Luck!
Web Reference:  http://clarifi.org/
Larry Lichtm…, Agent, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Hi Ronnie,

You can get your own credit reports for free at http://www.annualcreditreport.com. Every consumer is entitled to one of each of the 3 credit bureau reports, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

This site is very secure and hosted by the 3 agencies as mandated by federal law. While on the site and requesting your credit report, you can purchase your FICO, Advantage, or other scores for a small fee. Good thing about pulling your own report here is that it isn't counted as a commercial inquiry against you.

Good Luck. Please feel free to call me when you are ready to look for that new home. I would be happy to help you find your next home and negotiate a great deal for you.

Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994

DJCRE, Inc.
Real Estate Sales, Management & Insurance
1611 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Office: (215) 271-7070
Jeffrey Schn…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jun 2, 2008
Ronnie,

My clients have had good luck signing up with creditchecktotal.com for their monitoring service. When my clients have signed up in the past, creditchecktotal has been offering to provide all three FICO credit scores, plus credit reports, from all 3 credit agencies. Then many of my clients cancel during the trial period and pay nothing for the information. Just don't forget to cancel once you've gotten the info you need, otherwise you'll start getting charged for the service.

I noticed that truecredit.com is also now offering a similar service (Transunion runs the site, but appears to offer all 3 FICO scores).

If a lender pulls your scores, your credit scores will take a small hit. Probably not noticeable in the scheme of things, but something to consider.

Jeffrey
Peter Marcus, , California City, CA
Sat Aug 4, 2012
Hallo Ronnie,
Same question also in my mind, when i search for this query on web, i found the site related to this topic. if you want to accumulate more information about ( credit ) topic. visit here - http://www.lumpsum-pensionloans.com/
Jeffrey Schn…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Feb 3, 2009
Update from my initial answer, and response to some other answers follows:

As time passes, the companies providing free credit scores will change. Don't "trust" that the company I referenced in my original answer will always be the "best" company to get your score from. After about 6 to 9 months, you should do more research to see who has the best deal.

That said, you should also be careful in presuming that your FICO scores are the determining factor a lender will use in giving you credit. The government needs to step in here and do the right thing, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Here's the problem. Credit advocacy groups fought hard to get you the right to pull your credit report for free, once per year, from each credit agency. But, and it's a big but (pun intended), you don't get your credit scores when you pull your credit history, yet your credit score is the most important piece of data.

Credit advocacy groups are now hard at work to allow you to get your credit scores, once per year, as well. But it appears that there are powerful forces to keep you from getting it, not the least of which are all the companies that will lose money by not being able to charge you for this information.

And here's the second big But. Did you know your FICO score isn't actually the score most lenders use in determining what you can qualify for in a mortgage!! They actually use different scoring systems, that are similar but not the same as FICO. Don't believe me? Then when you apply for a mortgage the next time, ask the lender when they are going to pull your credit, and go pull your own scores on the same day. I'll bet you 100 to 1 that the average and individual scores they get, won't be the same as the ones you get. And even more absurd, their scores will be noticeably lower than the ones you get.

Let's stop the nonsense. The federal government needs to give consumers ALL the information that ANY lending source might use to determine your credit worthiness. AND we should not have to pay for it. IT IS OUR INFORMATION they are charging us for. Next discussion - do you know what CLUE means? Did you know there are similar records kept about you, that other people access, to determine your insurance worthiness? Did you know you don't have access to that information at all? And how about your medical history - did you know they keep track of that too!!!!

Keep the faith!

Jeffrey
Bret, Home Buyer, Philadelphia, PA
Sun Feb 1, 2009
Jeffery is correct - I did the same thing with Experian, after getting my free credit report, they included an offer to find out your credit score for free after signing up for their credit monitoring service (free for 30 days). It took about a day to get my credit score from them, at which time I canceled the monitoring service without issue.

All of these free credit report services are a little frustrating... sure you can get your credit report, but for buyers like you and I, it really does not help in determining how great your actual score will be. Many off the big name free credit report companies charge a small fee (about $15) to get your score once you get your free report from them. Hope this is helpful.
Deanna, , Alpharetta, GA
Fri Jan 30, 2009
Jeffery mentioned that your scores will take a small hit when the lender pulls your credit. One good thing about applying for a mortgage loan is that as far as the FICO score is concerned, you can have FIFTY lenders pull your reports in a 30 day period and it won't impact your scores.

"If an inquiry occurs because you applying for auto or mortgage credit (and yes, FICO knows), for the first 30 days that inquiry won’t count at all. After 30 days pass, the FICO scoring model will look to see if there are other auto or mortgage inquiries. If there are multiple inquiries for those types of loans within a 14-day time frame, those multiple inquiries will only count as one inquiry in your score."

If you're interested, you can read more about this here: http://www.credit.com/rs/vol17.jsp
Fred Glick, Agent, Mountain View, CA
Mon Jun 2, 2008
Go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com and see your credit report for free with no strings attache. It is a site that the government requires the credit companies to provide to you. You can dispute any item that wrong and even view your scores for a small fee.
Web Reference:  http://fredglick.com
Michael D De…, , 18969
Mon Jun 2, 2008
Ronnie,
As far as I know, Everyone charges for your credit report. At least the kind you will need for a mortgage. The free ones usually don't have a score but just tell you your credit history.
You are better off getting a lender to pull it for you. (that way it costs them instead of you)
Michael

Michael D Delp
Mortgage Pro
4802 Old Bethlehem Pike,
Telford Pa. 18969
Ph- 215-453-1025
Fax- 215-453-1012
Cell- 610-762-0318
michaelddelp@aol.com
michaelddelp@verizon.net
http://www.mortgagepro.instantlender.com
George Slawt…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Mon Jun 2, 2008
You can call Wells Fargo Home Loans, they are a very reputable mortgage lender. One of their loan officers is Lisa Dreyer, her number is 267-795-8188. She will give you your credit score for free. I'm not sure why you need to know your score prior to the lender knowing it? The lender is typically the best source for finding out what your score is. If you have any other questions, you can call me at 215-676-0863 or email me at gslawter@comcast.net. Thank you and God bless
George Slawt…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Mon Jun 2, 2008
You can call Wells Fargo Home Loans, they are a very reputable mortgage lender. One of their loan officers is Lisa Dreyer, her number is 267-795-8188. She will provide you your credit score for free. I'm not sure why you need to know your score prior to the lender knowing it? The lender is typically the best source for finding out what your score is. If you have any other questions, you can call me at 215-676-0863 or email me at gslawter@comcast.net. Thank you and God bless