Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Connecticut : Real Estate Advice

  • All286
  • Local Info23
  • Home Buying150
  • Home Selling33
  • Market Conditions6

Activity 10
Elsa_zacarias, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Wed Nov 16, 2016
Elsa_zacarias asked:
Joe Borelli, Real Estate Pro in Riverview, FL
Tue Jul 26, 2016
Joe Borelli answered:
As the FHA 203k lending guidelines changed recently, I would recommend that you work with a 203K lender approved by FHA to learn more about their latest renovation guidelines. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Patricia Wey…, Real Estate Pro in Milford, CT
Sun Feb 23, 2014
Patricia Weyant answered:
Yes there is a insurance company that doesn't require shutters. I live in Milford and live up from the water. I had a hard time to find insurance with a low premium. The name of the company is Coastal Agents Alliance, LLC. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Donald Steve…, Real Estate Pro in Fontana, CA
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Donald Stevens answered:
Get quotes from at least 3 different agents. They will give you a quote for free in the hopes of winning your business and with three quotes you can get a good estimate.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Jill Commins , Real Estate Pro in Niantic, CT
Fri Jan 6, 2012
Jill Commins answered:
I have found that insurance agents are very happy to receive an MLS sheet that the Realtors use. It shows the year built, room sizes, square footage and other descriptive detail. If you don't have one for your home you could send me your adress and I will look up your home on the CTMLS and email you back what you need. We have access to these forms as Realtors subscribing to the CTMLS as part of our annual dues. Any licensed Realtor can provide you with this. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sined, Home Seller in Hamden, CT
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Sined answered:
Thanks a lot for the answer and for a good advice.

Our mortgage on the current house is not very large, so the main portion of payments are indeed insurance and taxes. We were surprise when our current insurance was declined. We are thinking to keep our 17 and 21 years kids in old house while we are moving to a new one. Can this be legal?

Do we need an additional insurance if we decide to rent?
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Kevin Geysen, Real Estate Pro in Glastonbury, CT
Wed Mar 16, 2011
Kevin Geysen answered:
Hi Richard,

I would reach-out to local independent & national firms with an office located in Old Saybrook or the surrounding areas. I know several folks who either live year round or have summer homes in Indiantown and they use a variety of different firms that meet their individual needs. A quick search on the web will find them for you. Use the BBB or similar for individual company ratings. Hope this helped! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Steve Roake, Real Estate Pro in Naperville, IL
Wed May 26, 2010
Steve Roake answered:
Start by contacting a local Realtor to give you a market value for your home. Many Realtors will put the info together for you in the hopes of getting future business or referrals from you. If the value is close to 80% LTV, you may want to risk the $350. If not, save your money, keep paying it down and wait for values to go up. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Robin Silver…, Real Estate Pro in Garden City, NY
Wed Mar 31, 2010
Robin Silverberg answered:
Carmen, the bank will require you to insure the amount of the re-building costs that are in your appraisal. Sometimes if you can prove that you are covered for 20% or 25% over the limit in rebuilding, they will allow that as well. The only problem I see is from your point of view, the appraisers often use a per square foot price that is lower than what it will cost you to rebuild. Do you want to take a chance that something happens and you do not have enough money to rebuild? ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Carolyn Nisi…, Real Estate Pro in Fairfield, CA
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Carolyn Nisita-Top Producer answered:
Call the Williams Agency 203-874-2581 in Milford. They have all the new FEMA maps and know the shoreline in this area. They can also give you quotes on prices so you know where you stand. If your looking in the Shorline area, search That will cover the area your looking in.
I would be happy to help.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice