Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Clinton : Real Estate Advice

  • All12
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 11
Sat Apr 2, 2016
JoAnn Dahan asked:
My listing was 55 Springbrook Dr. Gillette, NJ 07933
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 20, 2014
NJBARBIEGIRL37 answered:
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 1, 2014
Susan Backer answered:
You sound like a very logical person. Your analysis of the property in question is well thought out. When dealing with septic issues, the buyer must be very careful. An estimate of $30,000 could be even more costly, if issues are uncovered during the installation of a new system.

In making an offer on a home that needs a lot of work, you should estimate what the repairs will cost and subtract that number from what you think the house would be worth if all of these repairs were made. That would be the number you should offer on the home.

If a seller is not willing to sell for that price, it is their prerogative. Remember, the seller is usually living in the home and is not seeing the same issues that you are seeing. His toilet flushes, so he doesn't think he has a septic problem. The roof isn't leaking, so he does not care if the roof is 30 years old.

Patience may be the only approach at this point. If he receives enough low offers he may truly realize what the home is worth to the rest of the world.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 24, 2014
Cindy Czaskos answered:
Good Morning, I would be happy to discuss any Real Estate questions you may have. Please feel free to post them or send me an email with your question.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
dasnj1 answered:
If you want to dispose of them, ask your town, as some forms of asbestos might be able to be put in ordinary trash ( pipe covers) but I know the county landfill will definietly take some forms of asdestos. , but there are regualtions as to how much can be done. If you need replacement shingles- I suggest strip off all the asbestos and replace with vinyl or stucco. What may be allowed today of asbestos- may be banned later . ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Donald E. Sherblom answered:
The homes in Waters Edge appeal to families with young kids since the lots are small and the neighborhood is very walkable. This development is particulary attractive to people from farther east NJ because with public water and sewer it is more similar to what they've known rather than septic systems and well water which predominate in Clinton Township. Also, the easy access to Rte 31 where it is still four lanes, just a couple miles above 78 is a draw.

The best website to search all local listings - updated daily - is my personal web site (link below) which also has a lot of info on schools, local events, and a list of all homes sold this year. Please call if I can help you. Don Sherblom (908) 797-9900
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Laura Giannotta answered:
If the owner has the paperwork from the NJ Department of Environmental Protection certifying the work was done and soil samples came back clear, that's all the owner is required to do. As for the cesspools, find out the cost of removal, and deduct that from your offer.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 18, 2011
Tim Robbins answered:

In New Jersey a verbal agreement is considered valid in the state of New Jersey I would have your Attorney push some buttons to get them to sign the agreement or addendum stating that they are going to sell the home to you. TItile only reall takes a day or two to get the complete search down. Make your attorney earn their keep and push for an executed agreement ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 11, 2011
Bethe Frazer answered:
Hi Wayne - yes "cement shingles" are more then likely the asbestos shingle. If you were serious about the home I would certainly suggest consulting a liscensed home inspector as to what shape the shingles are in. You can paint them and if they are not cracked or breaking off; they can look very nice and be of no issue. As far as a danger, Asbestos is considered a toxic product so to remove would have to be done by a certified removal company. I have sold a house in the past with that siding years ago, and the clients did end up just vinyl siding over them; so you can do that and it's actually probably a lot cheaper then painting them every few years anyway. Again, consulting a home inspector on this one is the best answer here. Best wishes on possible home ownership! ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 30, 2010
William Leigh Holt answered:
Selling: Hmmm. Great question, lousy situation.

On the face of it, you have a court decree. The "easiest" thing to do is to follow it.

Title: If the title to the property is still in some form of joint ownership, you may have trouble getting ex to sign a deed transferring to a new owner, so that’s at least a minor consideration. Forcing him may cost legal dollars and you don't need that expense. If that’s the case, acceding to his wishes may be the thing to do, from a practical point of view.

While you seem to be content to help ex with his finances, we really don't know why. That's a social issue that may well weigh more heavily than practical or legal decrees. That part is just too tough for anyone to call, excepting the two of you.

On the other hand, depending on how much support you feel you "owe" your ex, be aware that ten years down the road you may question why you added a completely side issue of an IRA to the already complex procedure of transferring a property after a divorce.

Another point, if you can sell the property for a figure high enough to pay off the mortgage, ex pays the house off at closing, just like everyone else does. No IRA draw down, no expenditure of existing funds.

From yet another perspective, I'm not sure what rolling a debt into an IRA means. Have you had a good IRA specialist (CPA or financial advisor or retirement attorney) look over this deal? Ex may be way off base here. Frankly, I've never heard of this kind of deal and yes, I have an IRA and have reasonable financial advice.

Bottom line. You had a marriage. You and your ex ended it in some fashion. You have certain rights proceeding from the divorce decree. My advice is to get competent advisors in ALL the needed fields before you change a thing. Remember, the court has come up with a deal and a deal's a deal.
What you get in a "redeal" fandango may not be to your benefit.


Bill Holt

Yes, I've been post divorce too.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 16, 2009
Cecelia Bogart answered:
Hunterdon County is an extremely beautiful County with rivers and 2 reserviors. Depending on what type of setting you are looking for (Clinton waterfront is limited to on the river and in town), you may want to look for a home in the Clinton area. There are wonderful recreational opportunities for fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking, tubing, canoeing, and boating. If you go further west, Hunterdon borders on the Delaware River. If you would like more information about the County please let me know! ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Clinton Zip Codes