Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

20815 : Real Estate Advice

  • All25
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 19
Tue Aug 23, 2016
Nidhi asked:
5500 Friendship Blvd. (1BR and 1.5 Bath)
9 pictures
listed for $1800
Chevy Chase, MD
Please delete this listing. Thanks.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 10, 2014
Stephane Chartier answered:
I usually provide access to a few of my best contacts, mortgage, appraiser, inspectors, etc like most agents do. Trying to stay impartial.
I also provide a link for utilities service provider (Cable TV, Internet, Security system, etc.) where they pick and choose discounted products. It's available nationwide (
Some states where energy (Gas & Electricity) is deregulated, is also offered.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 11, 2014
Annette Lawrence answered:
Chat first with your attorney and discuss asset protection.
At some point you WILL be acquiring real estate creating greater need for this shield.

If your future involves working closely with investor types, simultaneous closing, assignments, commercial, funding, instruments of debt, mobile home parks, multifamily, complexes, ,you may find this an essential provision.

Then your accountant will direct you regarding your process.
If however your dream to fame and fortune only includes assisting others buy and sell real estate, the need for such protection is diminished, not eliminated.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 25, 2014
Akil Walker answered:
Hi Bahramkam,

I would recommend you ascertain representation on your behalf there are many forms to be completed and showings to schedule. if you need some assistance please feel to contact me. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 17, 2013
Margaret Hassani answered:
Foreclosures not listed on the MLS were probably either taken back by the bank at auction or sold at auction by the bank to buyers at the courthouse. You may be seeing these "sales" on RealtyTrac, which lists
properties that are in the process of being foreclosed upon, or have been foreclosed on, but may not be listed for sale yet. When the bank re-sells these properties, they will most likely list them with a Realtor.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun May 5, 2013
I would think a 5% late fee would be acceptable. Anything else might seem excessive. But again you're holding the paper you can make the rules.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Your Solar Realtor answered:
Tue Dec 13, 2011
Piero Marinucci answered:
If you can't get in touch with your agent, then you need to contact their Manager or Principal Broker.
2 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 3, 2011
Home Selling Consultant answered:
Did you mean closing?

If so, read the paragraph in the contract about default.

If it's unclear, ask your real estate agent or real estate attorney to explain.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 2, 2011
Mac Mccord answered:
Hey Thomas, the first step is to talk w the Atty that was going to do the settlement. Then if you have an Atty that would be the second step....if they didn't show up and there are no extenuating circumstances, you are in the right.....Mac. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 16, 2011
Ron Thomas answered:

This is three years old!!!!!!!!!
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 16, 2011
FSBOsuccess answered:
Wed Jun 1, 2011
Alyssa Hellman answered:
In most cases, I would say this was bad advice. The contingencies are the only thing that let you out of the contract without losing your earnest money. That said, if you were in competition with another offer, this could have made sense. If you're fully approved, and had no true need for a financing contingency and there was another offer on the table, this changes things. From a seller's perspective, an offer with the least contingencies is the most appealing because it leaves the smallest chance of the contract falling through and the most chance for the Seller to sell their home... ... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Ryan Smith answered:
Many great answers and advice below. There are many high rise buildings that have stood the test of time. I'm not familiar with your market area, but maybe you could see if there are newer buildings available.

All the best!

Ryan Smith
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Daniel Johnson answered:

Try searching in areas along Beach Drive, Western Ave, Jones Mill Road, Brookeville Road, and Grubb Road ... basically anywhere inside the beltway and between Connecticut Ave and 16th street!

I live off of Grubb myself and absolutely love it ... especially the local park "Candy Cane City" and the adjacent horse stables ("Meadowbrook") that my son and I frequent.

Hope I have helped. Feel free to get in touch if you need more advice. Enjoy the hunt!

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri May 22, 2009
Christine Sherrod answered:
Hi Wendy,

Montgomery County actually has a school locator located at You can type in a property listing's address to find out what school is in the property's neighborhood. There is a lot of great information through this site and you will get tons of information on the school itself and it's demographics. You can then mapquest the same listing's property address to the school's address to get an idea of distance. Hope this helps you and just let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Have a great evening!

Christine Sherrod, Realtor
... more
1 vote 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 3, 2008
Maria Morton answered:
Provided your agent has completed the contract and you are still within the inspection period, any finding on the inspection report is cause for the buyer to back out. Your Earnest Money Deposit should be released when you reject the contract provided there is no wording in the contract to the contrary. Usually this happens within hours or days. Occasionally, the sellers refuse to release the EMD and it goes to mediation or court. That is rare.
Has your agent suggested any remedies to address these issues on the Resolution of Unacceptable Conditions? If you could come to terms with the seller to correct these two issues, you could still get to live in the house that you like.
Just have some estimates of what the cost would be by a few electricians and carpenters and put that the sellers have those things corrected or reduce the price by X amount according to the estimates you receive.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Search Advice