Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Burlington : Real Estate Advice

  • All31
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying7
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 15
Fri Apr 22, 2016
Bulwagga asked:
Thu Jul 24, 2014
Mark Duchaine answered:
Hi Giles and Brian,

I am seeing a large amount of new construction in Chittenden County hitting the market. That makes me believe that inventory will be going up within the next year across the whole county.

In just Burlington alone. Last year in single family residencies by this time there were 166 sales. This year so far to date 123. (January 1st to July 24th)

So...that would make me think Inventory will be going up in Burlington. With a question like this there are a lot of variables though. If mortgage rates change so too does the answer to this question. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss further and what having a higher Inventory would mean to you as a buyer or seller.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:

A most unusual could only wonder, "to what end?" Is Richard Barrow legitimate?

0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 21, 2013
j_michael_grayson asked:
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Mark Montross answered:
Hello Flannery,

Thank you for your inquiry. We have several Neighborhood Tours on our web site with multiple photos and detailed community descriptions. You can look at Appletree, Claire Pointe, Harbor Watch, Northshore, Strathmore and Southwind in Burlington and The Landings in South Burlington. You can sign up for a Listing Manager on our web site that will notify you whenever any properties come available within your selected criteria. If you contact me privately, I would be happy to email several listings to you or you can search the entire MLS through our web site at

Thank you,
Mark Montross
Catamount Realty Group
600 Blair Park Road, Suite 205
Williston, Vermont 05495
(802) 658-3210
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Sep 16, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
If your property is listed with an agent ask him/her; or directly contact customer service
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 12, 2012
David Parsons answered:
Hi Bob,

There are many different options for financing and both your credit score and overall financial picture are going to impact the type and terms of a mortage you can qualify for. There are many great lenders in the area, I'd be happy to send you a list of ones we work with frequently. Kelly Deforge of Shelter Mortage works within our office and you can even start the application process online at I have also posted a link below to homes in Burlington within the price range you mention. There are a number of beautiful properties available to choose from.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your search further I welcome your call. I've been working with buyers and sellers for 30 years and have assisted almost 3.000 people. I would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your plans for purchase and help with the process.

Some homes for sale in Burlington:


Bill Desautels
RE/MAX North Professionals
p: 802-861-6217
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 12, 2012
Scott Godzyk answered:
The problem you may then have is if the property is zoned for 3 condos it then becomes a 3 family home as they are attached, your rights as an owner are protected by the association, you would lose that. No matter what you have to insure the common area such as common walls, common roof etc. You should speak with an attorney becuase I think you would be hurting yourself more than helping ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Dan Tabit answered:
At the heart of your question is a matter of fairness and law. As a broker it appears you are in an unfair situation, where one family has unreasonable control of the association. Regarding the law, you should take this up with a local attorney. Not the issue of the windows, that's only a symptom, but the way the association is set up where this one couple has unreasonable control.
A real estate attorney can review your association agreement and advise you whether it's legal or not and how best to proceed to bring it into a more fair arrangement. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Charlotte Gardner answered:
This is a great question and one which should be answered by your attorney. If the association prohibits 100% ownership, then either an amendment to that requirement or a dissolution seems in order. In that case, you would be creating a duplex under single ownership. That can be a desireable property to market under the right circumstances. It is a good time to sell and buy; please call us if we can assist you with your marketing efforts. ... more
2 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 31, 2012
Jeff Holloway answered:
With buying the property in Vermont, most likely the lien will be discovered. However, that should not prevent you from buying. You may have to negotiate with them to subordinate.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Heidi Zizza answered:
James it is unfortunate but the answer is no. You owned the home so unless you were selling your primary residence right now and had lived in it for 5 years you will not qualify. However, take advantage of the low rates and low prices. In years to comw when the prices and rates are higher you will be glad you bought! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Jim Bellville answered:

The fix is a quick financial shifting of a portion of the closing costs. Since you do not have a lender involved, it should be a bit easier.

Chris is absolutely correct in that you need to get your attorney involved. In order to shift the costs, you need to have your attorney discuss the situation with the Seller's attorney so that you can see if they will agree with rolling that cost into the note. It will also require that the note and mortgage be rewritten and a new HUD prepared for your approval.

Considering you cannot afford the additional closing costs, I wouldn't recommend you get a real estate agent involved at this point, unless the Seller is willing to pay them for their time. It doesn't sound like you have the finances to cover the cost and the majority of the work that we perform is well before you get to the closing table.

I have to ask, since you didn't have a real estate agent, Did you hire any inspectors during the process to check various parts of the house systems?

Best of luck.
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Tue May 12, 2009
Adam Hergenrother answered:
Hi Barbara,
I have dealt with many of these situations regarding REO's and short sales. They will counter offer you. If you need help please call or emaill me back and I can walk you through the steps. I am located right here in Colchester and know the area very well! Thanks! Sarah ... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Buying in Popular Burlington Neighborhoods