Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Agent2Agent in Buffalo : Real Estate Advice

  • All545
  • Local Info45
  • Home Buying246
  • Home Selling31
  • Market Conditions11

Activity 13
Wed May 20, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I did real estate for 1 yr. (2013 - 2014) & had to leave to care for my elderly parent who passed last Dec. To answer your question, I was successful in that 1st yr. ($7,000.) but my expenses far exceeded my income. I spent the previous 13 yrs. in retail which gave me the strong background for selling & marketing. What I didn't anticipate were the start up costs which I should have researched more thoroughly.
My advice (which I learned from retail - not real estate):
1. Have the confidence to walk up to strangers & introduce yourself. Use the elevator speech.
2. Have the confidence to turn people away, but do it professionally. Ex: unqualified buyers, low income renters, people who demand services or prices that are unrealistic, etc. In retail, this is done everyday though most people don't know this.
3. With #2 in mind, you will have to start with these type of people until you start improving your busines. It takes time.
4. I had to pay for leads (i.e. Trulia or Zillow) because my contact list was nothing. However, retail taught me to always follow up immediately. Briefly, if I took an order during my shift, I had to finish it or at least do 1/2 of it before my shift ended. Leaving it for someone else to do was a negative. In real estate, there is nobody to tell you this, but trust me, you need to follow up the same day.
5. In retail, the game is to upsell. In real estate, the game is to produce sales (listings or buyers). Brokers want agents who can produce & make money for the firm. In retail, companies want profits & managers want employees who can convince customers to spend money.
6. You will work long hours. I did in retail - 40 hrs./week + overtime during busy season until I got laid off.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jul 18, 2014
Nathan Sprague answered:
Hey Jon, good question. A lot of states offer reciprocating licenses (So you can work in FL & NY for example) You would need to see if the TX license could reciprocate with NY. The NY real-estate school and licensing is relatively affordable, you can get discounts and coupons online. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Nov 7, 2013
Suzie answered:
Tue May 1, 2012
Annette Lawrence answered:
When you see a listing specifically EXCLUDES FHA financing, do you show it anyway?
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 24, 2008
Patricia Aponte answered:
There is definately a new BUZZ in the air. There has never been a better time to buy a home. Prices are down and interest rates are way down. Whether a buyer is looking to purchase a newly built home or a resale, there are an abundance of deals available. The only problem here in Tampa is that people are not realistic in their priceset thinking. Here the buyers are still presenting ridiculous offers on already underpriced homes. The enormous number of short sales and foreclosures has made it extremely difficult
to create accurate comparable market analysis in many neighborhoods.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 21, 2008
Kymie Cooksey answered:
In order to be eligible for your New York State Broker's License, one must practice real estate as a licensed salesperson in the state of New York for a minimum of two years. Designation as a Broker also entails additional requirements such as a certain number of course hours one must complete. In addition, it is required that you pass the Department of State Brokers' Exam. The link I am providing will bring you to the FAQ page on the Department of State site. This will offer you the most accurate explanation of how to go about getting licensed in the state of New York. Please review the details on the site and contact the Department of State with any questions or to request more information. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 18, 2008
Pascual Paul Tarrats answered:
We have an Inernational section dealing in relocations from all over the world with a good referral program in place. E-mail me at: Good Luck
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jul 17, 2008
Gerrry Jones asked:
international real estate section any time
I had to put NY down as it would not let me put UK down
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 19, 2008
Larry Brinkley answered:
New to Trulia today, may I share with you my experience? No, ok then bye.
Licensed in 1987, got out in 88. Licensed in 2006 looked for an office which I thought would be best for me. Found older man no agents with Great United Country Magazines, talk of retiring in a couple of years. Left after 3 months. 2nd, went to office with best reputation, ethics, etc. Started there, a week later, they became a Franchise of CRYE-LEIKE, 3rd business card in 6 months, learned a lot, made decent money, made them good money. ok now it was time to look for Best Commission Split, tired of getting 44% commission. Started at RE/MAX, still doing well in spite of market, taking home 95%, personal office (with windows, 2 doors, etc) Moral RE: question. When looking for an office, you will never be able to see the true function of the office, it is a shame that we have to hang our license on a wall before we can realize where we are and what we might have gotten ourselves into. I say, Go straight for the best commission split you can get with lowest office expenses to get started, then maybe pay more for office space and get Max Commission. Willing to elaborate on specific experiences sp? ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat May 10, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
As a Business Broker, let me address this question. In NY State, I believe the only requirement to be a business broker is to breathe. They do not adhere to any guidelines, rules, codes of ethics and are not under the auspices of the Dept of State.

As a Business Broker, I am a licensed Real Estate Broker, licensed by the NY Dept of State and a Member of the National Association of Realtors for my brokerage, Long Island Business Brokerage, Inc. I hire only licensed Real Estate Agents in an attempt to bring this industry to a higher plain. We provide recourse to consumers.

I am trying to legislate stricter laws and guidelines for this industry. Most other states require licensing.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 27, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
No, but you may be able to have reciprocity. Check with the NJ DOS to see what is needed. I actually have a team member who is licensed in both NY & NJ. Contact me offline at and I will put you in touch with him to find out the procedure and requirements.

You can, of course, always refer business for a referral fee.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 21, 2008
Joe Sorrentino answered:
I spoke with my contact at the NYS Department of State regarding this question after seeing it here on Tulia and also seeing all the varied opinions. I don't mean to contradict those that said YOU MUST put it in the ad but according to the NYSDOS (State body of government that oversees licensed real estate agents and brokers) you DO NOT have to put in the AD that you are an agent, however, you must disclose to them at the time of contract or lease signing that you are licensed. The best way is to write in the contract or lease. You only have to do this however if the property is in your name. If you are advertising through your company or, if you are an independent broker and this transaction will be handled through you as a broker, then you must indicate that you are a broker or agent in the ad (No blind ads are allowed). If however you are running an ad on your own, you own the property and will conduct this transaction directly with the tenant then, you DO NOT have to spend the money for the extra verbage in the ad. If you are asked by a caller if you are the owner or an agent then it would be wise to be honest and tell them you are both. I hope that helps. Remember, you still have to do lead paint disclosure.
As far as your response JIm; in New York State, if a person sells or leases property for someone else, they are required to have a license and adhere to NYS Real Property Law. The word Realtor is a branding term for those who are licensed , join the Nation Association of Realtors and have achieved Realtor status. I guess if you are going to compare it to the medical profession, it is like being "Board Certified".
... more
1 vote 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 6, 2008
Carole McCann, Broker answered:
Licensing requirements in NY will change 7/1/08. Some of them are: an increase in hours for salespersons licensing course from 45 to 75 hours, broker to 120 hours from 90, managers will be required to be associate brokers, age for broker 20, elimination of exemption from continuing ed if not licensed 15 years by that date. There has been no change in reciprocal licensing since the addition of PA a couple of years ago. For info regarding that check out PA Department of State website. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice