Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

How To... in Brooklyn : Real Estate Advice

  • All323
  • Local Info56
  • Home Buying117
  • Home Selling12
  • Market Conditions13

Activity 5
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Jessica asked:
I am looking for a two or three bedroom coop that accepts section 8 with the option to buy. Any suggestions?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 26, 2008
Amanda answered:
No, I never got my money back. I'm still trying to get it by just annoying the hell out of them by calling and emailing constantly. They have stopped answering the phone and I haven't gotten a return email for over a month now. If I ever get it back, I'll be sure to let you all know! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 25, 2008
Jay asked:
My friend owns a coop and because of a specific board rule cannot rent the apartment to me. She would be willing to let me live there without paying rent while she is away in Europe for…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 8, 2008
Dp2 answered:
Try to negotiate. You have a few other options:
1) try crossing out and initialing the terms and clauses you don't like, and signing that copy of the lease
2) get a realtor, specialized in representing tenants, to help you counter with an addendum that overrides the lease agreement, eliminates the terms you dislike, and requires the owner to pay the agent's fee.
3) threaten to walk (and follow through if the owner isn't flexible).

Keep in mind, it's still a buyer's market in most places. This means more people, who are in the position to buy, and who have the desire to buy, will buy. This has the net effect of decreasing the supply of renters, and increasing the landlords' demand for renters. You can use this fact to your advantage in your negotiations.

Additionally, if you were to use a tenant realtor to help you with your negotiations, then you'd also be subtly informing your landlord that you're exploring your options. Who knows, . . . right now, you might be able to negotiate with another landlord (for another apt) to pay or split your moving costs--provided you're willing to sign a 2-year lease with him/her.

Furthermore, since you've already rented this apt for 4 years (using 1 year leases), you can probably assume--reading inbetween the lines--your landlord is being negatively affected by this market (and is trying as hard as s/he can to retain tenants). If s/he insists on you renewing for 2 years instead of 1, then request that s/he abate the rent for the first 3-6 months (ie you get the first 3-6 months for free). Then you'd only be on the hook to pay for 18 months.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 6, 2008
Jean Pritchard answered:
Landlord tenant laws differ in every state. Look at your lease agreement. Does it state that it will revert to a month to month tenancy after the end of the 1 year?? You might try calling a property management company or a legal hotline to get your question answered.

In Oregon a landlord must give a 30 day written notice, either handed to the tenant or mailed first class, (or both) when the rent is changed on a month to month rental agreement. The yearly lease can only be increased at the end of the year. Jean
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice
How To... in Brooklyn Zip Codes