Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Brooklyn : Real Estate Advice

  • All3K
  • Local Info198
  • Home Buying931
  • Home Selling89
  • Market Conditions34

Activity 49
Sat May 12, 2012
Concetta Prisco answered:
Thanks to all who answered my question about the condo washer and dyer problem. It was taken care of because of all the answer and solutions to the problem I received on it . thank you, thank you thank you All. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Gabriel Luci answered:
You should retain a licensed architect and the permitting takes from 1 month to year depending on which authorities have jurisdiction (DOB, LPC, etc.) and exactly what you are asking for and if it falls under current zoning or not. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Leonard Galper answered:
I've sold about a dozen homes that required 203K loans and I've recommended one contractor to my buyers. Most chose him based on his estimates and all have been happy with his work. Send me a message for his info. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 23, 2012
Jerry Cibulski answered:
Isn't it amazing on how rare these traits are. Doesn't seem like this should be the norm.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 5, 2012
Rob Weber answered:
Yes it can. To expand on what Jonathan said, you'll need to make sure the property is "self-sufficient" by taking the estimated market rent of all the residential units (even the one you'd live in), subtract 15% (or your applicable vacancy factor for your area for FHA financing) and that has to be greater than the principal, interest, taxes, insurance and PMI.

Keep in mind that the property may qualify based on it's unit count FHA still has the right to reject a property for it's commercial appeal. If the property's foot print is large enough and the property could arguably be better used for commercial purposes with the residential as an afterthought (a warehouse district for instance with four units on top of a commercial space). Even though technically you'd have the sq ft necessary to call it residential, the underwriter may call it suspect and forward to a HUD appraiser for review (I had this happen so that's why I know about this). If they say the commercial appeal outweighs the residential appeal, it'll be denied.

I have seen a few instances where something in the commercial space presented a health or safety issue for the residential space and that very limited scope of work was acceptable but otherwise no repairs can be done.
... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 11, 2011
Niliwear answered:
Wed Jul 13, 2011
Jacques Ambron answered:
In many cases you will find it is not possible to obtain a permit to create a living space in the basement. Make sure you use a licensed and insured contractor and an architect to have the work performed. An architect can best tell you what can be done legally. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed May 18, 2011
Alen Moshkovich answered:
Hi Latoya,

Please email me if you still need a contact. I have a good friend who is a licensed and insured contractor and he's done great work for everyone I referred him to.

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed May 4, 2011
Jon Solomon answered:
The cost really varies depending on the type of space. I'd suggest you look at the recent cost/value report for your area. It typically outlines the cost of the most common additions. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 26, 2011
David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin answered:
We would suggest discussing the issue with your neighbor. Sometimes people don't realize they are making a disturbing noise. If you receive a negative response you may wish to discuss the issue with members of the Board of Directors. Perhaps the neighbor is violating a house rule regarding carpeting / floor covering and they will have the expense of correcting the problem.

From experience we have found the sound-proofing is an expensive undertaking.

David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
917-593-4068 (CELL)
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 25, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Why not shp around, you'll have to choose the carpet and type, color, etc...or are you looking for someone to install....if so check with the store where purchased.... ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Feb 25, 2011
David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin answered:
We used Verrazano Flooring about 8 years ago with very good results.

Bonnie Chernin and David Rogoff
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
2926 Avenue J
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 (David’s Cell)
646-318-5031 (Bonnie’s Cell)

PS Avoid Multicraft in Queens they are the worst and don't believe their A rating from the BBB we had a horrible experience.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 19, 2011
- answered:
Hi, B9 building classification code for the City of New York -MISCELLANEOUS TWO FAMILY. As for whether you can extend, you may need to check with a licensed contractor who can be a lot more specific as to the building codes. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Dec 22, 2010
Alo webb answered:
You can contact me directly at 914-384-9554. My company is licensed, bonded and insured.
Experienced in New Construction and Gut Rehab. Definitely able to handle any constriction project. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 12, 2010
Alo webb answered:
Hello Johanna:

I am a licensed, insured and bonded contractor located in New York State. My existing and prior projects include new construction and gut rehab. I am able to handle any construction project through all phases of rehab including 203k loans. I am professional and to date have no complaints made against my firm because we understand the importance of completing projects on time and within budget. If you are still in need of a general contractor we welcome the opportunity to work with you. For more information please contact me at:
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Nov 23, 2010
Adriana Siesser answered:
Hi Mr. Peterson, i do know an excellent contractor that i can refer to you! You can feel free to contact him with any questions regarding your remodeling. His name is Gerry and you can contact him at 917-345-3646 Good Luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
For accurate information as to costs involved, do contact a few local licensed contractors and ask for estimates--then choose the one that best suits your needs.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Johanna H asked:
In need of a general LICENSED contractor in Brooklyn, or NY area. The following needs to be done:

Full Renovation of ground floor/basement
Install a new kitchen
new floors
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 25, 2010
Mitchell Feldman answered:
Dear Suebee:

You can also have your lawyer or have an "abstract" company research that for you.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice