Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Brooklyn : Real Estate Advice

  • All3K
  • Local Info198
  • Home Buying937
  • Home Selling89
  • Market Conditions34

Activity 277
Thu Aug 3, 2017
Eva asked:
Hello, I posted on sale by wonder on Zillaw the proper on 233 Bay Ridge Pkwy 3A; but on Trulia I do not see the pictures. On Trulia it says Red Hook, my property is in Bey Ridge.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 18, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I know there are some real estate brokerages in NYC that don't want to pay the expensive fees to be a member of REBNY. The issue for you is why did you sign with this brokerage? Your job was to ask yourself if you can succeed as a real estate agent without using REBNY. Obviously you didn't do your homework. You were supposed to have a well thought out plan on how you were going to list home's for sale, get leads and view comps without the use of REBNY.

In NYC you do have StreetEasy which is now owned by Zillow. Once Zillow gets the listing from StreetEasy, it will sync to Trulia.

If I were you, I would switch brokerages. The issue for you is there are about 50 - 70,000 real estate agents in NYC most of whom have access to REBNY and they will steal from you and get more deals than you will.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jul 11, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Read the contract! Your contract should spell out exactly which appliances stay for your buyers and which appliances you can take. Talk to your attorney if you can't find it.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jun 29, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I'm a recently retired NYC area realtor and knowledgeable with binders. The answer is yes, you can use the binder on your house to submit an offer on a home you intend to buy.
HOWEVER, BEFORE you submit a binder for your new home, VERIFY that the buyer for your current home has a pre approval and the cash to pay closing costs. If your current home is a co-op, verify that the buyer has the finances in place to pass the Board. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat May 27, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I just saw your listing and both Zillow and Trulia have it listed in Brooklyn. There is no mistake.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 25, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
As a former NYC area realtor, what do you need help with? What type of tools are you looking for? Your question is not clear but if you need help, I can provide solutions. Also are you selling by owner or are you listed with a broker? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon May 8, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I'm a former realtor and life long NYC area resident. Outside of the NYC area, it's much easier to sell by owner and be successful than it is in NYC.

Some facts, truths and what realtors won't tell you:

1. In NYC, agents are ruthless, greedy and manipulate everything to make deals work for them. Fortunately, it gets a little better in the NYC suburbs but I was warned that NYC is the wild, wild west compared to the suburbs.

2. If you are not listed in REBNY (the MLS system), expect agents to ignore you and they will show their buyers every home except yours. On the flip side, agents do scan Zillow, Trulia, etc. to contact For Sale By Owner listings. They call you to tell you that you're stupid and don't know what your doing hoping to convince you that you need to list with a broker.

3. NYC agents do lie. If buyers ask about your home for sale because they saw it on Zillow, Trulia, etc., agents will tell buyers that your home is not for sale and your listing on Zillow, Trulia, etc. is old and your home has been sold already.

4. Safety. Since it's NYC, how will you screen buyers before showing your home to them. When selling by owner, you need to have buyers email you either a pre approval from a lender or proof of funds. You need to verify the information before showing your home. Unfortunately, there are people pretending to be buyers and have criminal intentions instead.

5. You need to remove all personal, financial and sentimental items from your home and put it in storage or at somebody else's house. This includes, all bank accounts, any paperwork with ID numbers on it, jewelry, etc. If you plan to hold an Open House, you don't want anything stolen or used for ID theft.

6. You need to know that Brooklyn is as expensive as Manhattan now and Queens is catching up (getting pricey). Buyers have been looking in the suburbs for awhile now because housing is cheaper, the public schools are excellent and transportation to Manhattan is 30 min. from most places.

7. Finally, Google "Flat Fee Brokers". This is an alternative to full broker listings.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 10, 2017
Mary answered:

I am Mary from Trulia Consumer Care. I apologize if you experienced any inconvenience or frustration with editing your for sale by owner listing and I am happy to help take care of your concern.

As a general reference, Trulia does not have a central platform to post/edit listings. Instead, listings are sent to us through a variety of feed sources such as partners, brokers, agents, third-party feed providers, or directly from an MLS.

Your listing, specifically, is being sent to us from Zillow, which is our partner site that sends us listings.

Any changes you are requesting to your listing on Trulia will need to be updated at the source, Zillow. Here is a helpful link on how to edit your Zillow listing:

Your changes will automatically update to Trulia within 24 hours. I have also sent you an email regarding this concern.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Mar 26, 2017
Lisa.t.mooney answered:
You have to make him/ her meet board members I believe to see if they will accept person to buy after that I believe you need a closing lawyer to help. I have a question how did you find a buyer I may have to do same as well, three years a realtor had listing and almost went to closing but it went belly up. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 27, 2017
Michael Denniston answered:
It would be best to consult with an attorney regarding your specific legal matter. Generally speaking and based on my ongoing experience working with residential and commercial real estate investors, they're only interested in 100% ownership of the properties they invest in unless there are multiple investors dividing the ownership among them. Once probate is resolved, then all parties would have to agree to a sale. If the parties aren't ready to sell, then a cash out refinance may be the best option. That may allow the owners to settle any debts against the estate, and any remaining funds could be used at the discretion of the owners.

If a cash out refinance is the best option, then you should consult with a licensed and experienced mortgage banker after speaking with your attorney. Family and friends may be a good source for referral to a banker. You can also check client reviews of mortgage bankers on Trulia/Zillow. I've helped many clients over the years with refinancing properties they've inherited, and decided not to sell.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 4, 2017
Kevin Cregan asked:
I have a listing that is a direct feed to sites such as Trulia and this is the only site that is showing some photos upside down. How do I correct this ASAP????
214 North 11th Street, brroklyn…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 31, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Yes it is necessary. The good news is you have a buyer who can close and you can move on with your life. If you refuse to spend the $800., the buyer will walk out and you will have to start over again to find a new buyer. Do you want to get this over with or do you want to put your home back on the market again and you will need to reduce your asking price because of your first buyer. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Oct 26, 2016
Ben Strom answered:
There is still legal work that needs to be done by a title company or lawyer which can cost some money but is required for the change of title.

Other than that you can keep the profit as long as you have lived in the home for 2 of the last 5 years, if not you will have to pay taxes on the profit. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice