Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Bronx : Real Estate Advice

  • All1K
  • Local Info128
  • Home Buying406
  • Home Selling42
  • Market Conditions10

Activity 14
Mon Aug 14, 2017
Raza Rizvi asked:
Hello everyone,
I am closing on a two-family property in the Bronx this week and I would like to separate the gas meters. Currently the property only has one but I would like to have the…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 28, 2016
Ora Rolle-jones asked:
We just bought a co-op with 2 full bathrooms. I want to remove the tub from the bathroom in the master bedroom and put in a shower. Will this hurt our resale value ?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 30, 2014
Val Damico answered:
Hey Melvin,

Please give me a call as i have a preferred lender, her name is Jacqueline Sendra, and i do believe she can assist you in this process. She closes 203k Loans often and ensures the process is seamless. Please feel free to give a call at your next earliest availability.

All the Best,

Daniel D'Amico
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 8, 2013
Mildred Valentin answered:

I have one that has done 4 jobs on houses that have SOLD, you can contact Fernando Contracting there licensed 347-967-6565 or 917-520-9973.

Best of Luck!

Millie Valentin
Sales Specialist and Tax Consultant
Exit Realty Search
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465

If you think my answer was helpful, Please give me a "THUMBS UP" or "BEST ANSWER"
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 7, 2013
Luis Sanchez answered:
Hi, Robinson I have a referral partnership that do all type of construction and electricity jobs. If you need to renovate your kitchen, bathroom, and floors I could be contacting by email to and need to know your Riverdale/Fieldston address and your phone number in order to send contractor workers over there to give you a Free Estimate Cost!
Have a nice day and hope to hear from you soon,
Luis, Realtor Agent
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Joseph Cosentino answered:
The tankless water heaters are much more energy efficient than a hot water storage tank because the tankless only heats the water on demand. The storage tank has to fill up 30-50 gallons of water heat it and store it at that temperature when your not using the hot water.

Review Rinnai or Navien web sites for more information.

These must be installed by a liscensed plumber and someone who has the expieranced technicians to perform yearly maintance.

Thank you,
Joseph Cosentino
Morris Park Realty
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 6, 2012
Esther Zimet answered:
I am selling a very large 2 bedroom , 2 bath Apt. with a terrace in Central Riverdale. I spoke to a contractor who is reasonably priced and for $22,000 he will paint the apt., pick up all of the old carpeting, polyeurethane the hardwood floors and put in a new kitchen (with all new appliances -Home Depot grade) and new bathroom and remove the old air conditioners. Obviously the price changes depending on the quality of the materilas used, brand and style of appliances and many other factors. Each apt. gets priced differently depending on some of the
above factors. I would be happy to share his number with you.
Please call me at 917-838-3440 for more information.
Esther Zimet
EZ Premier Realty LLC
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 19, 2010
Jovani Giron answered:
Your best option is to work with a Realtor that specializes in Short sales/ Foreclosures. The Realtor will be able to better assist you in finding the properties you are looking for. There are many important aspects involved in the purchase of a rehab property so you need to work with a skilled trained professional.

Best of luck!
if you have any questions feel free to contact me
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Harrybaksh answered:
You must check the zoning first to make sure it is possible. An architect will look at a survey and the zoning map and advise you if it is possible and how many squaree feet you could add and what other requirements you will need to meet the current building requirement. He/she will also assist you to design the space. After you know exactly what you want to build and the quality of the construction then you can speak to three different licenced contractors to get estimates. It could cost you between $175 to $250 per square feet to build. You will hire an architect; he will do the plans; submit it to the building dept. for approval. Once you get the approval, you give it to your contractors who has to provide their licence and insurance and apply for a permit at the building dept.. After they obtain a permit then they can start the job. You will need several inspections including electrical and plumming and construction etc. before you can obtain final certificate of occupancy.In the meantime if anything goes wrong you will be ultimately responsible for violations and fines caused by your contractors. It may cost you less to find the right two family and buy it instead. There is a lot more involve in the process. This process is for the Bronx. Seek more expert advise. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 26, 2009
Joanna Lane answered:
Hello again,
There's also this from Energy Star on Rebates and Tax Credits for Windows, Doors, and Skylights

Local Rebates

Many local utilities provide financial incentives for purchasing ENERGY STAR qualified windows, doors, and skylights. To find out if rebates or other incentives are available in your area, visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder. Federal Tax Credits (see link below)

On February 17, President Obama signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009. This bill extends and modifies the tax credits for windows, doors, and skylights established in the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

The following guidance is not intended as legal advice, and you should consult a tax professional with specific questions:

* To qualify for the tax credit, windows, doors, and skylights placed in service after February 17, 2009 must have a U-factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) less than or equal to 0.30.
* Qualifying products purchased between February 17, 2009 and December 31, 2010 are eligible for a tax credit equal to 30 percent of the product cost. The maximum amount of homeowner credit for all improvements combined (including roofing, insulation, HVAC, and water heaters) is $1,500 during 2009 and 2010.
* For products purchased between January 1, 2009 and February 16, 2009, the terms of the tax credit are less clear. The Internal Revenue Service will likely clarify these terms in guidance documents, which are expected to be released later this year.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 28, 2008
Thomas McGiveron answered:
Wed Aug 6, 2008
Candace Evans answered:
Are you looking for stick-built or modular? Also consider the location of your lot. Parts of Riverdale are located in a historic district, so if your lot happens to be located in one, your new home will be subject to the restrictions covering new homes for the area. Overall, you're probably looking at around $250/sq ft. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice