Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Billerica : Real Estate Advice

  • All45
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying13
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 27
Tue Jul 25, 2017
Steve Bracero answered:
Contact the local building department. They should be able to assist you. You also want to see what zone the property is in to make sure the in law apartment is legal.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 28, 2017
Ismailpet asked:
Wed Mar 9, 2016
Doug McNeilly answered:
Generally speaking, staging is helpful. Rooms look better when they have furniture in them and Buyers can see whether a king bed or queen bed fits in a bedroom for example. If staging is too expensive for your budget, you can consider virtual staging for the photos. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri May 1, 2015
Jackson Willis answered:
You should contact an electrician about this. They would be able to tell you how much of a concern this should be. I hope that you'll be able to get it figured out. It can help you a lot to get that information from a professional. I hope that you'll be able to get this resolved quickly and easily.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 25, 2015
Susan Barlow asked:
Thu Jan 29, 2015
Charlotte Marrocco-Mohler answered:
When updating your home rule of thumb is keeping what you have and update items. Kitchen cabinets are very expensive so if they are in good condition stain or paint them and put your money into countertops, appliances and flooring. Bath tubs can be redone and not replaced. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 1, 2014
Craig Chemaly answered:
Again, I know this is old, but its important. I'll probably write a blog post on it later today. There are only 2 reasons a house doesn't sell: 1) poor exposure or 2) bad pricing.

Since putting a home on the MLS, while certainly not the only exposure I give to MY clients homes, should be enough to rule out #1. So, that means the home is priced incorrectly. However, that doesn't mean you have to accept it. You can work together with a realtor and a contractor to find out what you can do to spend the least and get the most out of your home.
... more
0 votes 23 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 15, 2014
Josh Barnett answered:
Mon Sep 16, 2013
Lburns answered:
Was this person a REALTOR(R) or simply a real estate agent? If the salesperson is a REALTOR(R), meaning a member of the National Association of REALTORS, then s/he is required to adhere to a higher level of ethical behavior as put forth in the NAR Code of Ethics which prescribes a strong system of ethics complaint procedures for members of the public and other REALTOR members. Contact the local REALTOR association in addition to an attorney. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 15, 2013
Heath Coker answered:
One of the problems with sites on the Net that only sell ads or just collect email addresses to resell, is that the info on their pages is often meant to cause you to provide your email and name for resale.
(see question: )
Getting the info modified is not easy.

I'd spread the word to use actual real estate professionals' sites rather than ones where the correctness of the data is not as important as gathering and selling your name and email to the highest bidders.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 8, 2013
Wen Farina answered:
Hello MadridEnrique,
did you buy the house cash or used a lender when you bought it using your ITIN#? if you used a lender to obtain a mortgage I would contact them and ask them about the refi if you planning on keeping the property as an investment. There other lenders that may be able to assist you if yours can not. Are you a la liga BBVA follower?
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Jim Driscoll answered:
If you would like I can look up sales in your area to try to get a better idea on the value. A lot of clients that we have worked with found that the value might have been higher than they thought and we were able to put them into better programs than HARP. Call me when you have time to review.

Jim D
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 7, 2013
David Cutler answered:
Not sure what you mean exactly. You don't need a social security number necessarily to buy a house but if you want a mortgage loan for the purchase they would most likely require a social security # for a credit check. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Heath Coker answered:
If you don't have a mortgage broker yet, Bob Tranchell is another one to talk to.
He is a reverse specialist and also does regular refinances.

Bob Tranchell (508) 367-5731 cell 800-497-5235 Office

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 24, 2012
Chris Doherty answered:
I grew up in the town of Billerica. The town is large enough to have access to great shopping and dining. The community also offers access to major highways, good schools and affordability in relation to the City of Boston. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Maria Cipollone answered:
An ITIN, or individual tax identification number, is proof that an inividual pay taxes to the Internal Revenue Services. With ITIN you may qualify for a mortgage, but this opportunity does not necesarily translate into an easy process. As a result the approval for a mortgage may take longer, but it definitely possible.

Good Luck,

Maria Cipollone

... more
2 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 15, 2012
Annette Lawrence answered:
Your original goal was to list at $149,000. You listed at $172,000. That is about 15% above your intended price. That is 6% above the 'absolute silence' threshold. Clearly you need no additional advise. That, however, does not mean I am done.

Be aware, only a willing buyer and a willing seller will reach an agreement on the purchase and sell of a home. My impression is you have experience in the real estate business and understand your margins as well as strategic value.

You may be well advised to review with your agent at least three strategies to get this house sold. If all that is offered ONLY involves lowering the price, you are then in a difficult position.

At this point you will need to rely on YOUR negotiation skills and your apparent understanding of your local market. If your home is indeed 'The Prom Queen' of all the comparable real estate, you can make that work to your advantage. Employ denial strategies to get all those buyer in the house TOGETHER! You'll know what to do from there. (Read Ron's paragraph 3)

Best of success in achieving your selling objective.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue May 29, 2012 answered:
Your best bet is a real estate attorney and then use a buyers agency like ours when you are ready to bid:
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue May 29, 2012 answered:
Every transaction is different but it is possible for you to still move forward with the deal if your mortgage is for less than the appraisal amount. Otherwise if the appraisal came back low and they don't give you your mortgage you should be protected under the contingency so check the language. Perhaps the seller would consider renegotiating the price. Ask your buyers agent and attorney.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 29, 2011
Annette Levinson answered:
If the condo qualifies for as a warrentable condo, there is not problem. If the condo is rented at this time 75% of the rent is deducted from the PITI. If you have enough income and your credit is good, there will not be a problem. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Billerica Zip Codes