Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Benton Harbor : Real Estate Advice

  • All22
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 15
Thu Dec 3, 2015
Dan Tabit answered:
You did your mom a favor and now it's tough. We can't advise you on how to trick the system, even if we knew. An attorney in your state however would be the perfect person to advise you on how to best set this up and protect everyone's interest. Where your mom is a senior citizen there may be some tax deferral options or other ways to minimize your exposure and keep you safe & legal. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Sep 27, 2015
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
rent to own favors the seller, not the buyer..I do not recommend it!!

The price is usually set at the beginning of the lease, and an upfront deposit is expected. This deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE if you do not buy the home for any reason. You may also be expected to pay an amount of rent OVER and above the usual rent - only that rent overage would be applied to the purchase, not the entire rent (which is what a lot of people think) ...........and........that rent overage would also be forfeited if you do not buy the home.

You will have very few homes from which to choose as most people who want to sell their homes, and CAN sell, sell now not later.
You have to hope the seller isn't upside down on their mortgage and that they stay current with their payments - otherwise say goodbye to your money.
Lots of risks!

I suggest for now you rent in the normal was while working on whatever it is that is keeping you form buying a home . Once you're ready and able to proceed, then you will have the full selection of homes from which to choose.
Sit down with a lender now, and see what you need to do in order to be able to buy a home in the future.
Best wishes......
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jun 27, 2015
Kirsten Prizzi 239-248-1667 answered:
Buying a house AS IS means that the seller is not doing any repairs. You still have the right to do an inspection and back out of the contract, if the home inspector finds something you don't want to accept or didn't expected. You can ask the seller to repair or replace it, and if sellers declines you can back out of the contract. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 15, 2015
Noah Seidenberg answered:
You should do your own research. Check the local incident reports available from the local police department or the Internet. Do not jump to a conclusion. The incident reports are public records and available to anyone ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 14, 2014
Tracy Haynes answered:
I so sorry to hear about your home. I wish I could help, Rentals don't last very long in this area. Just keep checking craigslist and driving around. There are very few listed on our system and they are not low income properties unfortunately. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue May 13, 2014
Tracy Haynes answered:
It is always best to go with an agent who looks out for you. Do your homework. Compare similar properties and go from there.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 17, 2014
Tracy Haynes answered:
Your question about safety in this area obviously stems from the fact this is Benton Harbor and you have heard about that communities reputation. As the previous person answered, no place is truly safe as you never know what/who can drive by. I have sent my children to school in the Fairplain area and have friends who live there as well. It is a good, family area of Benton Harbor. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Paul Dumke answered:
2471 Wilson Ct. does not appear to be an active listing at this time.

2092 Hillandale has recently sold.

Can I help you with a search for active properties for sale?

Thank you.
Paul 269-921-1125
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Paul Dumke answered:
It appears this property is not actively for sale.

There could be a number of reasons it is on Trulia and not on the MLS. Pre Foreclosure is a possibility.

Visit for accurate and up to date listings.

Feel free to call or email anytime.

Thank you1
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
If you own the property, it is legal to rent it out for as long as you own it.

That said, it would be unethical, (at least) to rent it out, when you know that your tenants will be evicted soon:
I can see a senario where you could get sued for putting them in that position.
And what is going to happen with the rent money they pay, while you are not paying your mortgage?
Could someone view that as fraud?
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Danielle Claroni answered:
You can go to Town Hall and go to the land records department. There you can see the foreclosure paperwork. If the transfer was filed, you can also see the "new owner" in the Tax assessor's office. Some town's have their data online. Look in the recent sales. It will say that "" jsut "bought" the house for whatever the debt amount was. ... more
2 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 15, 2011
Jenny Fardello answered:
Hi Mella,

Generally when sellers are open to selling their home via land contract, they discuss this with their listing agent. The listing agent then puts all the information about their property into a database that is searchable based on many different parameters, including search by purchase options (cash, conventional, land contract, etc...). Once this information is entered, other Realtors may pull that information to assist the listing agent in selling the property.

Unfortunately, selling a property via land contract is not a popular choice among many home owners. It may take some time to find the right land contract property for you.

So to answer your question, yes. Any Realtor within Southwest Michigan can help you locate a land contract home. I hope that this was helpful! Good luck!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Nov 8, 2010
Randy Charboneau answered:
If you want something done right.....

Nerissa, it has been my experience that the more control you exercise over a property, the happier you will be. When you let others make decisions on your behalf, and you don't agree with those decisions, it will end up being quite frustrating. If you have the means and knoweledge, you would be wise to do anything you can before turning your property over to a management company. Management companies will handle routine maintenance with their contractors/subs, but sometimes at not-so-favorable rates/quality. They rarely rehab properties. Also, management companies are in business to make money and that means taking a cut off of any money going through them. If your goal is profit, I suggest doing as much on your own as possible.

Randy Charboneau
Independence Realty

NOTE: Was this answer helpful to you? If so, please give me a THUMBS UP click to the left or even better, choose me as the BEST ANSWER. This feedback helps all of us in the Trulia community be recognized as professionals giving exceptional service! Thank you!
... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 26, 2008
Daniel answered:
PS....It is Churchill Farms. Search for a property and fill in MLS 2827295 as a search criteria and it will bring up a house. It's already under contract, but should confirm that this is the neighborhood. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Benton Harbor Zip Codes