Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Atwater : Real Estate Advice

  • All47
  • Local Info9
  • Home Buying9
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 32
Thu Apr 7, 2016
You don't know. That is the deal with foreclosures.

I do not check replies, so if you have a comment or question email me here:

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
NMLS #1056079
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 8, 2015
Cindy Davis answered:
It is intended for low or moderate income people. There will be income guidelines for those who qualify.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 18, 2015
That can depend on the bank. Give me a call let's contact them and see if they will let you buy it. I have done it before.

Rich Littlefield 714968-2500
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Sep 16, 2014
No they had it removed. But I am sure with the right real estate agent you can make an offer. Let me know if you need some help with that.

I do not check replies, so if you have a comment or question email me here:

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
NMLS #1056079
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 20, 2014
Steve Colvin answered:
Good morning, most homes have termite damage. The extent of damage varies. Was there a pest addendum in the contract? If so, the addendum will indicate who pays for section 1 items (termite damage and dry rot).

As for the addition you really need to speak with your agent on proper course of action.

Good luck

Steve Colvin
Premier Ca Realty
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 19, 2014
Joshua Mock answered:

You would have to get a title report to answer that question, or ask the owner =).... Often it is given to us in the special instructions of a listing. From what I've heard average of 300 bucks a year. Although the time is about to expire on many of those special assessments. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Brian Nguyen answered:
There are a few different options you can look at but lenders like myself can offer you a Jumbo Loan with down payments as low as 10% and no PMI. I would recommend speaking with a lender like myself so that you can get all the details you need. I am a lender based out of Southern California and I have done loan all throughout the state. I would be more than willing to speak with you so that I can help you get the loan that you need. Well I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or if you need a loan, feel free to contact me. Also, if you found this helpful please leave me a recommendation if you can! Good Luck! Brian Nguyen Sr. Mortgage Banker NMLS # 659743 Phone: 949.667.2887 ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 2, 2013
Dennis Evans answered:
you have local information on this properties web site on Tulia... However my best advice is to call local police.... they are more than happy to share their knowledge as they work it everyday! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Allison Harris answered:
Hello Jean,

I understand your frustration trying to find rentals that accept your HCV (section 8) voucher. Some feedback I have received from owners is that they don't like all the paperwork and additional requirements for inspection repairs that go along with being part of the program. Others are concerned because they may have had bad experiences in the past with a tenant on the program. In regards to the additional deposit, people put a lot of emphasis on good credit. If a person has bad credit due to financial difficulties the landlords may feel that it is risky to rent to them. Don't get discouraged. My advice is to be honest, be yourself, and don't give up.

~good luck
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Maria Skordos Moore answered:
I work with both buyers and sellers in the Merced and Atwater area. From a buyers position there are not a lot of homes on the market. When a home comes on the market in the $175k and lower price range there will inevitably be multiple offers with several over asking price. In the last 3 months I have submitted offers on homes and every one has been apart of a multiple offer situation. I have been able to close on most of them. Homes above the $200k range tend to sit on the market longer. There are other factors as to why a home sits longer; condition, financing options, short sales, these are just a few reasons why a home would sit on the market for over 30 days. The good listings are on the market for 10 days or less. I hope this helps answer your question. If you would like more information about the area, please give me a call. I will be happy to help you. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 20, 2013
Steve Tucker Sr. answered:
If you are moving out of Atwater and wanting to sell your home, you might be surprised at what you can get for your home compared to 3 or 4 years ago.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
Do you actually think that this is DRIVING UP prices:

I would argue the reverse:

With 70-80% of the Market being Shortsales and REO's,
the Market Value of everything is being depressed; has been for years now.
Someone wanting to sell their "NORMAL" house, has to contend with all the foreclosed houses to determine their Market Value.

We will need a greater mix of NORMAL sales to bring the Market back up.

For those who are holding their breath; STOP IT!
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 22, 2012
Timothy_hj asked:
If so, can banks barrow money from the Federal Reserve at near '0' interest rate to buy homes?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Ruth Nightengale answered:
I know of a nice two bedroom 2 bath with a studio in the back, also has a small basement...good location in good condition! Call me if your interested...private sale not listed on the MLS yet. Ruth Nightengale London Properties...209 756-7884 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 6, 2012
John Sefton answered:
Banks in general do not rent out their foreclosures because they do not want the liability exposure. There are sometimes exceptions with private party Lenders or Investors that take over at a Trustee's Sale, but they are rare.

If a home is rented out prior to the foreclosure and the Tenants are still there after the foreclosure, some Lenders will work with the existing Tenants on a temporary basis.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 30, 2012
John Arendsen answered:

First I must ask who sold the home from underneath you? Was it a partner, friend, relative? Or was it another lender perhaps holding a 2nd that was seriously in the arears? If it was some type of partnership or co ownership thsn I would recommend that you read the following.

If you want to go to the expense of hiriing an attorney that's your business. But having been a expert witness for dozens of law firms during the last 20 years I can tell you that you can save some money by doing a little research yourself.

Find out how the home is titled before you do anything. Here are some options:

Sole Ownership by Person or Entity
A Single Person
An Unmarried Person
A Married Person or Registered Domestic Partner as their Sole and Separate Property
A Legal Entity

Co-Ownership by Person or Entity
Community Property
Community Property with Rights of Survivorship
Joint Tenancy
Tenancy-In-Common or "TIC"
Title Holding Trust or "THT"
Registered Domestic Partners

Above is a good link that will better define these terms. The best thing you can do for yourself is to bone up a little by gathering as much information and knowledge as you can before you hire an attorney. The more you know the more informed and sophisticated you will look to your attorney and the less you will have to pay.

Additionally, the time you take to do a little homework will save you a lot of legal fees. The attorney you retain is going to have to start right where you are now before he can do anything for you. Most if not all attorneys would never take a case like this on a contingency (where they get paid a percentage of the award at the end of the trial).

They will require a fee for service which means a hefty advance retainer (usually between $1000 and $5000 depending on the level of complexity they feel they will incur and the amount of time it will take them. Then they will charge you an hourly rate of between $250 and $500 per hour drawn down against that retainer.

Believe me it goes away very quickly. Then they will demand that you replenish the retainer before continuing on with the case. Now if you don't have the capacity or warewithal to do a little preliminary probing on your own then I guess retaining an attorney is your only choice.

But you had enough gumption to ask this question so I think you could do a little digging on your own. Look at it this way. The more you can do up front the less you'll have to pay an attorney. Good luck
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 23, 2012
C Murphy answered:
We are looking to buy a house in Atwater. Don't speak Spanish but would be interested in knowing where it is and then perhaps we will contact our realtor
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 27, 2011
LINDA MOORE answered:
You can sell anytime the first 2 years (subject to extra taxes), but less likely to get audited if you wait 13 months from date of purchase.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 12, 2011
You can view property taxes for specific properties in Merced County by going to

You can view property value assessments for specific properties in Merced County by going to

2105 George Washington Ct in Atwater, CA 95301 has a base tax rate of 1% of the sales price, along with what appears to be additional annual flat assessments of $827.14.

So if you purchased the home for $150k, filed the $7k homeowners exemption, you'd have a base tax of $1,430/year, then with the $827.14, it'd total $2,257.14 property taxes for the year, or $188.10 if you are breaking it down on a monthly basis.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Atwater Zip Codes