Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Alabama : Real Estate Advice

  • All133
  • Local Info7
  • Home Buying83
  • Home Selling12
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 20
Joe Oswald, Home Buyer in Lillian, AL
Wed Aug 24, 2016
Joe Oswald answered:
Farmer's offers homeowner's insurance with wind through Federated National and.Coastal Select. State Farm and Allstate offer wind insurance with a homeowner's policy. Baldwin First National offers through Coastal Select. I'm waiting on a quote from Alpha. I'm fortunate where I'm buying a new Gold Fortified home which has extensive hurricane mitigation features built into the home. This gets me a 40% or more discount on the policy. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Karendartist…, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Fri May 20, 2016
Karendartist01 asked:
garypuntman, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA
Thu May 28, 2015
garypuntman answered:
This will be different depending on what coverage you want. You might want to ask people around that area to see what they are paying. I suggest talking to a variety of insurance companies to get an idea of how much it will cost and so that you can compare prices. ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Joel Johnson, Real Estate Pro in Blomington, MN
Thu Aug 21, 2014
Joel Johnson answered:
They sure will - for a quote contact:
Doug Berge
Farmers Insurance Group
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Aaron Sims,  in Birmingham, AL
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Aaron Sims answered:
If the buyer has paid in full and has the deed i would imagine that the seller is free and clear of the situation and has no further interest in the property. Now as I am a Realtor and not a lawyer the seller may want to check, but if I had completed the sale of property I had owned and the purchaser(now current owner) didn't pay taxes it wouldn't bother me at all. I may purchase the back taxes at the tax sale and make 12% (Alabama) interest when they do pay it off or get a tax deed and own it again if they dont pay for 3 years (Alabama).

Best of luck!
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Mack McCoy, Real Estate Pro in Seattle, WA
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Mack McCoy answered:
The person who cares most has to pay.

Regardless of your agreement - if there is no insurance in place, and something happens, it's a bad thing. If the property tax isn't paid and the county forecloses, it's a bad thing.

If you think the other guy should pay, and they haven't, you better pay, because if something bad happens, it will happen to you.

All the best,.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Christi Moss…, Real Estate Pro in Daphne, AL
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Christi Mossburg answered:
Insurance is typically lower in Spanish Fort than other part so the county as insurance rates are lowest north of I-l0. Insurance rates are also based on age of home and your credit score. An old roof can really increase your rate. Make sure you get a quote from several companies. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Judy Niemeyer, Real Estate Pro in Fairhope, AL
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Judy Niemeyer answered:

Insurance rates are less east of 181. As to rates, at this point we have not seen a decrease. Regardless what this owner is paying, you need to get a quote. I would suggest calling Matt or Andy Malone at Malone Farmers Agenecy in Fairhope, 251-990-4000. They can give you a more accurate estimate. Myrick Agency is another group that can give you a quote, 251-517-5600. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Steve Quinta…, Real Estate Pro in Albuquerque, NM
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Steve Quintana answered:
A good rule of thumb is that your hazard insurance will be around .0033% of the cost of the home. Thus a $100,000 property would cost around $330 per year for hazard insurance. $100,000 x .0033 = $330.00 ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tia Stanley, Real Estate Pro in Williamsburg, VA
Wed May 30, 2012
Tia Stanley answered:
Might be considered as a tenant which may cost you a little more. Better to be upfront with your insurance company than get a surprise if you have to file a claim. Call Glen Gorowsky Insurance and ask Glen if there is a concern 251.626.9566. You may be fine, but I recommend being sure. As they are immediate family it may be viewed differently. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Shane Willis, Real Estate Pro in Pensacola, FL
Sat Apr 9, 2011
Shane Willis answered:
You will have to look up the taxes for the particular property and check the millage rate. Your profile says Panama City Beach Fl. I can say I work in both Al and Fl and property taxes in Alabama cheaper. Hope that helps and good luck ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Shane Willis, Real Estate Pro in Pensacola, FL
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Shane Willis answered:
Really a ballpark type question that is unanswerable. Are we talking home/condo. On the beach off 2 years old or 40 years old......Sorry too many variables here
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Cheryl Mccoy, Real Estate Pro in Daphne, AL
Fri Apr 1, 2011
Cheryl Mccoy answered:
Marie, that all depends on a lot of factors, such as the location in Foley of the house. The age, construction, your credit and of course the agency can have a factor in the price. Call me and I can further direct you on this matter with additional information. Thanks ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mack McCoy, Real Estate Pro in Seattle, WA
Thu Mar 10, 2011
Mack McCoy answered:

So you're thinking that if the property sustains $125,000 worth of damage, you'll then pay off the mortgage and won't rebuild the home?
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Rameh Khazen, Real Estate Pro in Mobile, AL
Sat Feb 5, 2011
Rameh Khazen answered:
No, unfortunately at this time it would probably be much greater to rebuild. I live off Rangeline near the water and with insurance that would cover my rebuild costs my annual insurance bill was outrageous and a claim had NEVER been filed on my home in 50 years. Never flooded, not even a missing shingle. So what I did was insure my home for a cash price so if anything did happen to it I would get X number of dollars. (the amount I insured) my insurance amount dropped to 1/4 what it was before. I would get enough cash back if something happened to go by a nicer home, and I would still own the land the wreckage of my home would be on to sell, plus new contents and liabilities covered... I guess everyone needs to just talk to their insurance agents and see what fits their needs. Give me a call if I can help buy or sell for you. Free to use a Realtor to buy of course. Rameh 251-786-4673. Thanks ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Ruth and Per…, Real Estate Pro in Los Gatos, CA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Hi Durley:

Talk to your bank for starters, and when it does not work out go to:

0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Bill Eckler, Real Estate Pro in Venice, FL
Fri Jan 21, 2011
Bill Eckler answered:
When home owners can no longer afford the expenses associated with their home ownership, the first course of action should be to approach your lender and request a "loan modification." If granted, this act will hopefully reduce your monthly fees to an acceptable level. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Bill Eckler, Real Estate Pro in Venice, FL
Sat Aug 28, 2010
Bill Eckler answered:

Florida provides a website that serves as a valuable tool for understanding insurance rates. I'm sure you will find this helpful.

Good luck,

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
j,  in San Acacia, NM
Thu Oct 22, 2009
j answered:
You would only need to insure the replacment cost for the mobilehomes value not the land. Is it located in a park?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Jeff Jones, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, AL
Sun Apr 26, 2009
Jeff Jones answered:
It is a guideline ONLY and yes MI is higher on 680 credit score than a 790

Jeff Jones
Smart Agent.Smarter Clients!
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice