raemaeg,  in Doylestown, PA

where does the philadelphia city wage tax apply to?

Asked by raemaeg, Doylestown, PA Tue May 20, 2008

is it only within the city limits or does it reach into the suburbs a bit too?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Michael D De…, , 18969
Tue May 20, 2008
The city wage tax only applies if you work within the city limits. You can live outside the city , in Montgomery, Bucks or Chester Counties, but if you work in the city you are charged the city wage tax.
1 vote
Sgalla04, Home Buyer, Philadelphia County, PA
Thu Feb 25, 2010
The tax rates for 2009 and 2010 are (city residents):

01/01/10 - 06/30/10 3.9296% (.039296)
07/01/09 - 12/31/09 3.9296% (.039296)
01/01/09 - 06/30/09 3.93% (.0393)
0 votes
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Wed Mar 4, 2009
You will pay this if either of the following is true:

A. You WORK in Philly
B. You LIVE in Philly (regardless of where you work)

Here are some resources:
0 votes
Joe Michalski, , Philadelphia, PA
Sun Jul 27, 2008
The city of Philadelphia also taxes its residents on wages, regardless of where those wages were earned. So you could live in the city, work in teh burbs and get hit with the tax. You can live in the burbs and work in the city and get hit with a tax. Current rates as of 7/1/2008:

Residents of Philadelphia 3.98%
Non-Residents of Philadelphia 3.5392%
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more