I'm now a "seasoned" agent...so I feel qualified to give you some of my own thoughts.
When I had no listings, no sphere of influence, no client base ... I literally begged my co-realtors to let me do open houses for them. To me, that was a lot of fun.
Here are some ideas so that folks would remember me. Such as:
1) Got business card stickers that I stuck on everything I gave out --- maps, lists of open houses that weekend, local magazines, etc. The business card sticker had my face, name, number, accreditation and website. You can order these business card stickers from VistaPrint or Color for Real Estate.
2) Got a website. At a time when 86% of buyers look for homes on the internt, it's absolutely necessary to have a website, especially one that is linked to a network (Point2agent.com, for example), and populate it with good ideas. Since you have more time in the beginning of your career, this is a good time to develop your website
3) Continued my education and earned more credits as: e-PRO, SRES, BPO Specialist
4) When doing open houses, I posted them on craigslist (with the permission of the listing agent). Since I was holding open house nearly every weekend, there was the element of familiarity. Remember the adage of advertising: Repetion, repetition, repetition
5) Affixed on my car a sign about what I do for a living, name of my website, etc.
6) On my name rider, include a picture, phone number and website.
7) Developed a system for building, managing and maintaining my database. Wish I did this from the start. Subscribed to a way of doing business. I attended some courses (like Mike Ferry, ByReferralOnly, etc) and settled on Brian Buffini's Working by Referral which suited me best of all.
8) During open house, I always have an open house registry sheet. Our company features a monthly merchant of the month drawing where people who sign up at open houses are entered into the drawing. For some reason, people are more inclined to sign in that way. Then I send them a thank you card for coming to my open house. As appropriate, made follow up calls/appointments.
9) Give something out at open house --- print outs of that weekend's open houses. Local maps and/or local magazines to those new to the area. I allways affix my business card stickers on everything!
10) In the summer, have small bottles of water as give aways (get them at Costco!). And...you guessed it. Affixed my business card stickers on the bottle.
By the way, if you haven't heard of, nor read this book yet, go get your copy of "21 Things I Wish My Broker Told Me". It's an easy read, and chockful of good ideas from top agents. I highly recommend it.
Take care and good luck.