As agents we are, in my opinion, very blessed to have this job. I think the perks definitely outweigh the negatives. Of course, I don't live in "la-la land" and to have rewards there will also be challenges.
1. Flexibility-I am the manager of my time. If I choose to buckle down for a season and take it easy the next I can do that.
2. No 2 days alike-New clients, situations, houses, markets, trends, laws, regulations (Oh, I better stop-I may be getting into a negative)
3. Fulfillment-The realization you are helping people with most likely the largest investment of their lives.
4. Being a "go to" person. Everyone likes to talk real estate (Trulia is the perfect example). Having the knowledge and expertise to educate and guide people in their best interest.
5. Who would I be kidding if I didn't mention the PAYCHECKS! Hmmm...would it still be as rewarding and fulfilling if the pay was bad???
1. The flip side of no 2 days alike is not having a set schedule. You may think you are done working for the night and 1 phone call can change everything.
2. Client Unloyalty-thankfully, this does not happen often but it sure stings when a client you have invested time and energy with buys something without your involvement.
3. Ever changing industry and market-keeping your competitive edge is a full time job in itself.
4. Agents who don't respect the industry. You know, I should've put this as number 1. Agents that slash commissions, act dishonestly, unethically, and will do anything to get the deal are doing all of us a disservice. We need to hold ourselves to a much higher level. Value your job, education, experience, and commitment. Stop selling yourself, other agents, and this profession short.
5. Ups and Downs--This just takes time to adjust. One month 10 closings, the next 1. You have to learn to hit while it's hot and appreciate the slower time to either spend with family, tackle a few items on the to do list, or strategize your marketing plan.
REAL ESTATE--It may be crazy but what would we do without it??!!