Question on obtaining a NYC Real Estate License.

Asked by Sabrina Allen, Yorba Linda, CA Mon Apr 22, 2013

Hello everyone. I am a RE agent in sunny California . Does anyone know the steps I have to take to get my NYC RE license? Do they take my ca license into consideration ? Also what Broker would you recommend? Would appreciate any input! Thank you so much in advance .

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Adina Greenberg’s answer
Adina Greenb…, Agent, NY,
Mon Apr 22, 2013
I went to Ivy real Estate school. I did my sales, brokers and all continuing ed there. They are very committed to what they do and I'll be loyal to them till I won't need continuing ed anymore.
You have experience, so I would try the larger companies. I'm with Corcoran and I love our firm. We have the best website and training and oh so much more. It's in my opinion the very best company.
1 vote
Albert Capoz…, , New York, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hello Sabrina:

I'd check with the CA Dept of State to discover whether or not NY & CA have reciprocal licensing laws.

If you do need to sit for the NYS Real Estate Licensing Exam I'd recommend the New York Real Estate Institute located in midtown Manhattan -- about a block away from Macy's.

I attended here and I was well served: the cost was fair & competitive; the courses were ample & thorough; and I especially like the flexibility & determining how quickly or slowly I wanted to complete the required 75 hours of classroom instruction.

For a sponsoring broker I highly recommend AC Lawrence, a Bellmarc Company. We're bigger than ever and there are lots of opportunities to make your mark in NY's hectic real estate market with this sponsoring broker.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you 'd like to discuss anything further. I'd be happy to help!

With kindest personal regards,
Albert Capozzelli

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
AC Lawrence, a Bellmarc Comapny

639 Broadway
New York, NY 10008
646.258.1199 mobile/text
1 vote
thank you so very much for the information. This aussie native can sure use it.
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
thank you so much for the information. Cheers!
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Sabrina, is the website to go to. You need to first find if there is reciprocity with California. I am licensed in NY, PA, MA & CT, but to be licensed in RI, I would have to take 90 hours and sit for the state exam. Each state is different. You might find a ladder...CA may have reciprocity with another state that has reciprocity with NY, even though CA may not have direct reciprocity.

You will have to do a little investigation.

In terms of Broker, call me and let's discuss (and I will do my recruitment efforts :).

You can reach me at:

or I would be happy to share with you what I have learned and do hand holding as needed. although I live in CA for many years, was not a Realtor at the time. Give me a call.
1 vote
i appreciate your tine in answering my question. Thank you so much.
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Vandana Ranj…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Unless there is a reciprocal agreement between the two states, you need to take 75 hours NYS license course then pass the multiple choice state exam to obtain the license. There are several commercial and residential real estate companies in NYC. You can get that information from REBNY. com, the Real Estate Board of NY.
Web Reference:
1 vote
thank you so much . I appreciate your time.
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
William Schw…, , New York, NY
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Hunter College/CUNY (212) 650-3850 has a great class scheduled to begin the end of May.
0 votes
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hi Sabrina. Now that you know all there is to know about reciprosity and such, I would say I also took the course of study at the New York Real Estate Institute http://( and yes, It's around the block from Macy's on West 35th Street between Broadway and &th Ave.

One thing to note. If you are aware of Groupon http://( they frequently offer group discounts and I've noticed an offer for RE classes that is quite a bargain. Check it out when you have a moment.

I am with Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Their name preceeds them in Manhattan real estate. They offer training on a continual basis and the premier appraisers in New York, Miller Samuels create our quarterly market reports. The website functionality is amazing and offers the ability to create your own site. The company is information rich and if you need a question answered, just e-mail the brokers and you'll get tons of experienced replys. Much more as well. Consider us when you interview. Good luck.
0 votes
thank you so much Joseph. I am a Pru agent and I think Douglas Elliman is our affiliate right? I plan on being in NYC in September so I may stop by . Thanks again and cheers!
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more