There are many, many reasons to conduct an open house. My Top 10 List follows. However, there are those who choose not to and that is fine also. In my area of Florida, open houses are well atttended. Be advised, not all homes are open house candidates, choose wisely.
At an open house I can:
1. Observe how attendees go about their home search
2. Inquire regarding the tools they use. It's helpful to know if Z or T is the big dog in your area
3. Get home feedback that differs from typical rea comments of lower the price
4. Connect with attendees regarding any of the five major decision they must make this year
5. Insure the attendee recognizes the value this home represents
6. Distribute the tools needed to propagate information about this home to the tertiary audience.
7. Solidify collaborative relationship with co-hosting party. Don't do an open house alone!
8. This is the most cost effective tool to access the 90 day market (That could be important)
9. Yes, I encourage my buyers to attend open houses and respect other agents relationships. Especially when attendee a comes with agent b who previously looked at this home with agent c.
10. And finishing out the top 10 List is the opportunity to engage the attendees in offering more information regarding their needs and challenges via questionnaires and surveys through which they receive dinner coupons or some other token that will be sent to them. They receive something of value and feel their opinion is valued and solicited. Stay focused on your goals. You would be shocked how many positive responses you will receive to the question, "Are you or anyone you know thinking of selling or purchasing a home this summer?"
The opportunities an open house presents is increadible. However, it is crucial to realize successful open houses look nothing like the open house of 1992. Reset your objectives, establish real measuarable goals, get supporting staff (don't need supporting staff? You don't have the vision yet.), and prepare your messaging system. Then go have a ball!
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727. 320. 4041