I'm a newer licensee (2013) and just wondering: what's a critical piece of advice that you wish you had been given when you launched your career?

Asked by Lalaena Gonzalez-Figueroa, Westminster, CO Thu Apr 11, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:

Answers

5
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Focus on your niche. Nobody can specialize in everything, yet as a new agent I'd do whatever deal came my way. After about 3 months I discovered that focusing on a specific niche helped me to use my marketing time and budget more productively.
1 vote
Damon Bottic…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Finding the right office environment, broker, mentor, and/or team that fits your personality can make a huge difference in your happiness and success as an agent, especially when starting out.
0 votes
Alex Levin, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Apr 13, 2013
You'll hear a lot of different advice, but it's all start from you!
You need to want to succeed strong enough to make it a Career. Rely upon yourself, but learn from other people experiences, choose a right Broker to guide you. You must remember , that you are a self employed, don't wait for presents, do it yourself for the most parts. Invest in advertising. Once you start rolling, you can't stop- it may become addictive. Be organized, follow up, be courteous.
And one major rule: DONT LYE!! What goes around- comes around.
Good luck!
0 votes
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Have a strategy.
Develop a plan.
(a plan has objectives, results, tasks, assignments and a time element)
Execute the plan.
If you can't measure the reslults, it's NOT a plan.
Don't fall into the trap of practicing 'accidental' real estate.
-
That's a lot of stuff.
But, without a map, you will never know you are lost. Therefore you practice by accident. 80% of your peers occupy this market default. The other 20% know something.
Return to top.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Do not expect simple answers to complex problems? Maybe also; try to simplify complex problems?

You can't know what you don't know, and at the beginning of your career, you just don't know. My advice to new agents is: don't front, be real, and listen. You have a license, so you know more than most people and you're qualified to broker real estate - but, if you come across a prospect who really doesn't need or want your services, accept that and move on.

Don't pretend to know more than you do - even the most experienced of us say, "I don't know."

Finally -hear yourself saying the things you say, and develop some self-awareness as to why you've said them. New agents talk too much, but so do veterans - recently, I was at a broker's open when a non-agent walked in and asked whether you could put a second story on the house. The agent's response was to talk about zoning and setbacks and surveys . . . the buyer said thank you and walked away. I don't know what the "best" response would have been, but I think that it would have been more useful to find out why the buyer wanted to know, and maybe keep them engaged in a conversation instead of taking the opportunity to step into the spotlight and put on a show about how much they knew.

Hope that helps,
0 votes
Search Advice
Search
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more