Agent2Agent in Los Angeles>Question Details

Melissa,  in 90049

How do i transfer my real estate license from florida to california? Do I have to get a new license?

Asked by Melissa, 90049 Sat Feb 23, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:



California would not honor my classes from Pennsylvania. I had to retake my courses online through

California also recently changed (October 2007) the requirements for a license, so be sure to check the CA Dept of real estate website to be up to date on the requirements:

I'm fairly certain that PA and FL have reciprocity. When you compare PA to CA, there are definitely differences in the way things are done, so after all was said and done, retaking the CA courses proved to be a positive learning experience.

It had been over a decade since I was in a testing environment, so if you feel the need to brush up on practice questions for the exam, I recommend this CD-ROM (I borrowed it from the library):…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Melissa, yes, you will have to take the California test. I'm not aware of this state reciprocating with any other state, which is very typical of California on just about anything you can think of! You will find at the information at the California Department of Real Estate website.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2008
Now known as the Bureau of Real Estate, find at
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
Hello All,
Could you tell me if a South Dakota realtor license transfers to any other state?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 7, 2016
I am currently in California and moving to New York, I have to apparently get a all new license there. Anyone know of an "expediting service"??
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2015
You can't transfer your license from Calf to Florida. You must take the required courses in Florida. I found the best real estate school is: they have real licensed instructors available 24/7 really its amazing. I called them at 2am and they were there ready to help me . Also the course was fully narrated it was so much better than reading text. Passed with flying colors!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2015
can I transfer my Florida real-estate license to Illinois
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 13, 2015
That would be great, but you can't transfer a Real Estate License, you have to retake the test here in California.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
Can I transfer my CA license to FL?Laurie Alexander
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 26, 2014
Hello Melissa,

Florida does not have reciprocity with any other state.

Why do you guys want to be licensed in CA?

Will appreciate your input.

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 11, 2012
Florida does have reciprocity with other states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, and Oklahoma
Flag Tue Jan 7, 2014
How to transfer a New York real estate license (agent) to a real estate California license
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 11, 2012
It is worth it to take your California exam. You should sell more real estate in California right now than they currently are in Florida. I was an agent in Florida and in California for the last few years. I did not renew my Florida license but I value my California one. The laws in Calfornia are different than Florida, we use escrow companies not just title companies. In California there are lots of disclosures regarding property and areas. Probably because there are lots of lawsuits. I prefer California real estate. It seems to protect both agents plu both seller and buyer by the requirements for disclosures. You may find there is more paperwork but less liability. We do not use the contracts as is like they do in Florida. I prefer to have seller, sellers agent , and even buyers agent disclose problems, defects, liablities. I hope you success in your new California career.
As an example of disclosures in California: I sell in an area in Southern California where it snows. That is unusual for that area. We disclose it. We also disclose that there are bear and other wild animals. The local mls has actually an 18 page local disclosure. Sometime somewhere someone tried to get out of a deal when it snowed or they saw a bear. The state also has a lengthly disclosures that they require everyone to sign. Love to do referrals with you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 22, 2008
You must still test for the salesperson license, California does not recipricate as most states dont with Calif. You can do online classes to aquire to education part. Check with

Good Luck!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 17, 2008
Check with California Board of Real Estate on line or call and see if they have a reciprical agreement with Florida - if they do - you fill out appropriate paperwork, pay license fee and probably take the State Law portion of the test - this is what I did for a license in PA and VA - good luch
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2008
check out these guys. For $100 bux they'll hang you Florida real estate licenses. It's a pretty good split on the referral as well. Good People.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 2, 2008
California would not honor the license but depending on your education you may be able to expedite some of the steps you have to take your license. Check California's DRE site for more info.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
You can get your California real estate license with the most endorsed and DRE approved California real estate school. High pass rate on California real estate license state exam. 110% money back promise. Check it out,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2008

I am afraid you are going to have to test out and take the necessary classes for your license. California does not have a reciprocal arrangement with Florida or any other state. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
Yes. Unfortunately you will have to get a new California sales person or broker's license. To expidite this process at the least expense, I would suggest ordering your required coursework from I am using them for my renewal and they are the quickest and most inexpensive option. They send you the materials and you take your exams online. You could finish the courses within a month or two. I believe the cost is under $200.

And definitely take Dot up on her offer to consider her office to hang your license. I just joined Keller Williams down here in San Diego. And after working with Prudential and other top brokerages, I am finding that KW not only offers the absolute best in training/education but the company culture is one of community and contribution. I wouldn't work anywhere else.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2008
California does not have reciprocity so, you will have to complete the process as a new licensee.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2008
Hi, Melissa:

You can go to and get most of your questions answered there. Would love to show you around our office in Studio City and introduce you to our team leader.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer