Vlh,  in Santa Clara County, CA

Do I need a Broker to practice commercial property management if I do not handle sales and/or leasing?

Asked by Vlh, Santa Clara County, CA Tue Nov 24, 2009

I have a CA (inactive Sales) Real Estate license and clients who want me to manage their commrcial properties for them. Do I have to be with a Broker to do all the bookkeeping, collecting rents, etc? If yes, then, how do I go about finding a Broker that would carry my license and let me bring in a book of business? Does anyone REALLY know the answer? I have not been able to get a definitive from the Dept of RE

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jenny A. Le, , California
Tue Nov 24, 2009
All you have to do is Google it ...the answer is at the DRE website ... the following pretty much describes that you have to be a broker or be an employee of the broker...

1. http://www.dre.ca.gov/pdf_docs/ref24.pdf

2. http://www.allpropertymanagement.com/propertylaw/property-ma…
0 votes
Cappy Myers, Agent, Morgan Hill, CA
Tue Nov 24, 2009
The answer is yes, definitively, per the Business and Professions Code (section 10131, et seq), which states that collecting rents for a third party is an activity that requires a broker license. That is my legal opinion as an attorney and licensed broker. I do not do property management at the moment but am willing to listen if you have a business plan.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more