Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

General Area in 94301 : Real Estate Advice

  • All17
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 2
Sun Feb 16, 2014
Grace Morioka answered:
You can't since ownership "type" is recorded with the property. Although the unit is detached, because the property title is defined by the city prior to construction, it cannot be changed to something it's not by building code. Most often a detached home is called a "condo" when it is constructed on a smaller than allowed lot size by building codes of the city. Often the city also allows a larger than allowed home to be built on the property by using the condominium definition. To allow affordable and denser single family homes to be built, the city allows the homes to be called condos with the perimeter of the defined condo being the exterior lot lines of the property. This title would apply to all homes within the community, so neither you nor the other owners can change title without removing some homes and increasing lot sizes to at least 5500 SF and often decreasing square footage inside the home, in most cases. Sorry, but this is not going to be allowed. ... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Fri May 9, 2008
John Souerbry answered:
I work with many Palo Alto investors who don't list their property on the MLS, they prefer to do private sales and will use an attorney to administrate the sale rather than a broker (I'm a broker and consult for a fee in these situations, but don't list the property for the client or negotiate the sale). They might put their own For Sale sign on the property or sell it through a network of buyers they already know. If you are truly interested in the property, call the seller or send them a letter and ask for all the details that you would normally see on an MLS printout. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice