Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 92240 : Real Estate Advice

  • All25
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying12
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 12
Mon Jul 10, 2017
Martin Salazar asked:
Sat Jun 11, 2016
Rich Reed answered:
Is your agent a Realtor? Did you sign a "BUYER REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT - EXCLUSIVE?" Your agent is under a duty to use reasonable care and skill (and depending upon the fact situation,
utmost care), to obey directions of the employer (you), and to render an accounting to the principal (you). I would speak about your concerns to your Broker, the person your agent is licensed under. If your agent is the Broker, or if you would prefer another way to deal with your situation, and your agent is a Realtor, you can contact California Association of Realtors which provides a service to assist clients with handling concerns with their agents. If you wish the assistance of a C.A.R. Ombudsman, you may call (213) 739-7227 or email the Ombudsman Hotline at You can call their Ombudsman for help at no charge. They handle mostly agent to agent concerns, but they also welcome client to agent concerns as well.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jun 11, 2016
Michael P answered:
I had the same problem with a MFG home I wanted that was on private property in DHS, too. The Trustee and her agent never mentioned the pre-existing condition of the occasional leaking roof and the original installation of Polybutylene piping (now banned in the U.S.).

After my Inspector gave me the bad news about the roof and the attempt to hide the water stains, my agent had his contractor do a formal estimate for the MFG home and I also had a formal estimate done from another company. Since the home I was about to go deeper into Escrow with was a MFG home, the Roofing Technicians had to first remove the original single layer of shingles, then lay a new layer of roofing felt, etc. before installing new shingles. The total cost was between $8,000 to $10,000 dollars for a 2,000 + Sq Ft MFG home (with the overlay). The cost variance depends if you choose to have the roofer's remove the debris of the old shingles on their truck or if you choose to environmentally dispose of them,(remember they contain fiberglass and can do damage to your skin, etc.)
Needless to say, what I thought would be a good deal buying this ancient MFG home on private property with a low monthly mortgage, would of cost me an "Arm and a Leg" in replacing the roof, the grey P-Pipe, and the water damage that had occurred and seeped under the( now warped) subflooring in the Kitchen and into the living room. My advice is if you have a lot of money to renovate an old MFG on private property, tear the old home down and have the debris carted away, but have the crew save the expensive steel pier jacks and supports under the old home and invest in having a new MFG shipped and placed on the original foundation with the old Steel Jacks and have the new home 433 Certified. You would save money on the hook up utilities and some County and DHS City fees because they are already there.
Sorry to give you the bad news, I too was crushed and had to face the financial facts of the problems with old MFG homes. It still breaks my heart that I had to cancel Escrow proceedings and walk away from this DHS home on a private hill top overlooking the mountains, because I loved it so much beside all of it warts and major reconstructive surgical procedures it badly needed.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 25, 2015
Karen and Paul Catania answered:
There is some great advise here. Don't rent to own, it is never a good deal for the buyer. Rent something, save up and get a loan to buy the right house for you. Rent to own deals are like loan shark loans in my opinion. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Hena Martin answered:
I do specialise in short sales they are all different ,I have worked with boa on many occassions ,it all depends on the negotiator and how much you call them they too have time lines they have to respond in ,although it doesn't necessarily go that way .I have closed all the deals with them,good luck to you ,Short sales are not taking as long as they use to ,depends how much you love the home and how determined you are to stay .

... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hena Martin answered:
Sun Sep 16, 2012
Jamie Hennessey answered:
You will need to talk with a lender but most banks do not lend the small amount of money and have it go as an all cash deal. If you would like to be referred to a lender to talk to privately email me at and I would be happy to help you with that. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 22, 2012
Jamie Hennessey answered:
You can email me privately at and let me know the address and I will email you the information immediately. Hope this helps.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Eric Michael answered:
everything should be spelled out clearly between your purchase agreement and the banks addendums.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 4, 2011
Karen and Paul Catania answered:
All offers need to be presented to the seller at any time. The Seller has to get the highest and best offer for the bank. SHorts sales can be a good deal but with that comes a lot more risk. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 23, 2010
Jesse Madison answered:
Calcazoo, the short answer is no. You do not need to have an agent but it will be very frustrating to learn the process as you go and it could jeopardize your purchase if you do not know what your doing. The deal can fall through if you do not follow the bank procedures to a tee when performing the short sale and negotiating the terms of this sale with the bank.

Best of luck.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Search Advice