Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

For Rent in 90210 : Real Estate Advice

  • All99
  • Local Info14
  • Home Buying43
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 2
Thu May 12, 2016
Galinanovikova1950 asked:
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Steven Ornellas answered:

You definitely need to speak to a CPA for a final definitive answer regarding your question.

My personal understanding is that one can still take the mortgage interest deduction (MID) and rent their personal residence out tax-free for up to 14 days a year; HOWEVER, once you surpass 14 days:

1) You have to claim all the rent as income (if you do not exceed the 14 day rule the rent is tax-free),

2) You lose your right to claim the MID and

3) You cannot claim business expenses or depreciation.

Topic 415 - Renting Residential and Vacation Property (formerly Renting Vacation Property and Renting to Relatives)

Publication 527 (2011), Residential Rental Property

Publication 936 (2011), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice