Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rentals in 60618 : Real Estate Advice

  • All78
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying24
  • Home Selling9
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 2
Randall Lanc…, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL
Fri May 3, 2013
Randall Lancaster answered:
I would like to recommend that you utilize my free website at You will be able to search for properties throughout Chicago and the surrounding areas. My website features up to date information, so you will not be finding homes and properties that are no longer available like on some of the realty websites that you may be using. My website also offers an array of neighborhood and market information that can help you make your determination on homes and locations. My featured partners are industry leaders that can assist you in making any realty transaction easy and transparent. I welcome you to utilize this amazing tool. As always I will be available to answer any questions that you may have. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Accurate Ins…, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL
Wed Oct 27, 2010
Accurate Inspections & Consulting answered:
Don't know what you are trying to say by stating 'grandfathered 2 flat'. Any 'grandfathering' needs to be verifiable to July 1957 for the building code. Forget the Zoning dates. You can rent out anything you want, it is done all the time. If the City comes in, Zoning is often times not even on the complaint. Corp Counsel may amend the complaint and add it on at some point but not usually. Typically, there are enough building code violations not to make it necessary. Occupancy is occupancy. The DOB isn't going to worry about whether it is a home office or someone is sleeping there. Granted if you hire an attorney or you make that distinction, the City will squash that position. Egress, ceiling height, natural light and ventilation are the bigger issues that would come up. There are also other conditions that would need to be met for legal occupancy.
Zoning issues tend to be dealt with more if you are trying to run a daycare out of a house or mechanic shop out of a garage, etc.
In short, you can do what you want. It is highly unlikely the City will come knocking unless your neighbors make a phone call. If you do rent out the space, at least make sure that it is safe and not a hazard.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice