Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 45458 : Real Estate Advice

  • All20
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying11
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 11
Wed Jul 20, 2016
Curatolo answered:
Every picocurie of Radon does the equivalent of 1 cigarette a day for each day spent in a home. A cigarette a day for life shortens a person's life by approx. 100 days. So this home, if you lived in it for life would potentially shorten the life of the occupants by 380 days...........
I would press for a mitigation here or at least consider its cost in the purchase of the home.
The EPA says to consider mitigating any home between 2.0 - 3.9 pCi/L even though this is below the action limit of 4.0 pCi/L (the point where it becomes a material fact that has to be disclosed going forward)

Good day to everyone. My name is Rudy Curatolo and I am a Certified Radon Testing Professional in the Triangle Area. I wanted to assist in this question above and some of the inquiries below. Radon Testing is all I do, I have an Analytical Certification in this and have a good reputation among some of the best Realtors in our area.

Quality of testing and quality control in the environment being tested are paramount in identifying whether or not Radon is an issue in a dwelling. Simply put, make sure it's done RIGHT. Many well intending folks pass on inaccurate information regarding Radon and Radon testing, so be careful where you get your info. This is afterall an odorless, colorless carcinogen capable of giving a person (or family) lung cancer by prolonged exposure. The Raleigh/Triangle area does have elevated Radon areas and it can differ from home to home. This is an above average area (both statewide AND nationally) so consider getting your home tested by a professional.

Rudy Curatolo
Advanced Radon Detection Services
Phone: 919-619-9448
NRPP ID 107466RT
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 31, 2016
Brookswilliamm answered:
It is a ratio between two measurements with different units. Calculating Rate is a way of normalizing between different units. Crime rate is the number of crimes that occur in a given population. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Apr 7, 2015
Bill Burress answered:
The buyer or the seller may pay the closing costs. If the seller is to pay the closing costs, it will be spelled out in your purchase contract. This is a negotiable commodity.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 8, 2014
Janine LaMothe answered:
The EPA acceptable radon level is 4.0. So to answer your question, yes 3.2 is perfectly ok.
1 vote 13 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 2, 2013
Richard Baldi answered:
Hi. Personally I don't like marking up the price of a house when listing much if any at all. If my client needs to sell in a fairly short amount of time, I always list right around what it's worth. Going and marking it way up, and then having to wait, and start dropping the price is a waste of everyone's time. Sellers may not like hearing that, but when it comes to selling, the sooner you sell, the more money you save/earn in the long run.

I recently sold a beautiful home off of Clyo Rd in Centerville. Sellers let me price it where I told them to, and we had it under contract in 3 weeks :-)

I'd be happy to help you if you are still in the market. I know the area very well. Give me a call, or shoot me an email. There's no obligation to you whatsoever! Thanks!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 23, 2013
Don Brenneman answered:
Kathy, that is a great question and one my clients commonly ask. Unfortunately the laws have changed and this information is now protected. I have found that most owners are usually willing to share this information when requested to assist with the decision folks are making when considering new homes to purchase. Please give me a call if I can help. Good luck with your search. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 28, 2011
Susan Blanford answered:
I'd be happy to help you, however, if you have already enlisted an agent through a signed Buyer's Agency Agreement, then you must do business with this agent or ask the brokerage firm with whom the agent works that you wish to be relieved from the services of the agent. Generally, the broker will assign another agent for you from their comany. If the agent showed you this home, then that agent is entitled to compensation unless you make other arrangements with the broker. The broker should be able to assist you with a market research for this house if your agent cannot. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Susan Morris answered:
Good morning Estella,

Let me suggest something you may not have considered, if you do a search in your price range, you will find some excellent values from all kinds of sources rather than narrowing your search to just these types of properties. For example, properties being sold through relocation companies can be a much better value than those you've listed. Also many homeowners are competing with these sellers.

Here's why these are perhaps better over all values, most short sales, bank owned and foreclosures are sold "as is". You can do inspections for your own purposes but the sellers can not or will not make any repairs. Relocation companies and private owners generally will.

It would be my pleasure to help you,

Susan Morris
Coldwell Banker Heritage Realtors
(937) 510-1248
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 8, 2009
Cindy Schimer answered:
I'd like to answer the question, but am a little confused. What exactly is the question?
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice