Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

43204 : Real Estate Advice

  • All13
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 9
Joansnyder007, Home Buyer in New York, NY
Wed Nov 9, 2016
Joansnyder007 asked:
My wife lost her job 5 yrs ago and became a fulltime caregiver for her mother until her mother passed away a yr ago. and we have had to take in 2 of our grandchildren so she runs them to…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tony Grech, Real Estate Pro in Southfield, MI
Mon Sep 21, 2015
Tony Grech answered:
Well the loan is secured by the Columbus home so it should not affect your current home whatsoever. The impact to you would be mainly financial and credit-related, I think.

Since the C'bus home is no longer your primary residence, I don't know that you'd be afforded the same protections from liability as someone who faced losing their primary home.

You may want to reach out to a HUD approved housing counselor to see if they have any recommendations. They may even be able to help you negotiate an arrangement with your bank. An attorney can also provide you advice on this, albeit at probably a higher cost.

If you're not concerned about your credit then you could always pursue a short sale or just let the home go to foreclosure. But those actions are going to severely impact your credit.

I hope this helps somewhat!
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
jackie.idle, Renter in Columbus, OH
Thu May 8, 2014
jackie.idle asked:
Melvene Perk…, Real Estate Pro in Gahanna, OH
Wed Apr 2, 2014
Melvene Perkins answered:
Hello Amir,
I know of a place that you may be interested in, This may be a good investment for you, and also a home to live in. It's in the 43219 . Please contact me at 614-929-8193.

Melvene Perkins
Real Estate Agent
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Hi there, you can get started on your home search here:

Hope this helps,
Ali, Community Manager
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Jeff Paeltz, Real Estate Pro in New Albany, OH
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Jeff Paeltz answered:
Hi Yvonnetoria,

Very sorry for the situation you are in. It may be very difficult for you to break your lease. It would have to be mutual. I would make two suggestions, not as a realtor, but as someone who is trying to help out.
1. Speak with mangement, someone who can make the decision and offer to buy out your current lease. Negotiate paying 3 months rent up front to mutually break the lease. I mention mutual becasue you MUST make sure before you pay anything that they are willing to let you out of the lease. If you give them the keys and some money put don't have anything in WRITING that they are letting you out for the buy out fee you could still be stuck.
2. Speak with an attorney. There may be some hardship statutes or something to that effect that may allow you to break your lease such as a death in the family, lost job, military service, injury or health issues. A lease is a contract. BOTH parties must agree in writing to alter it.

Look to see if there is a legal aid office near you that you can consult with an attorney, for little or maybe no fee and see what advice they can offer. Maybe if you can prove the premises uninhabitable or some health concern with the apartment , or if victim of a crime. Please consult with an attorney to explore your options.

I wish you well,
Jeffrey Paeltz, SFR ABR
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Bettie,  in 43204
Thu Oct 22, 2009
Bettie answered:
Brent Bester,  in Columbus, OH
Thu May 15, 2008
Brent Bester answered:
If you need representation from a buyers agent I know a couple. I also do financing and would be able to get you GFE's quickly.

Brent Bester
Mortgage Professional
(614) 622-8916 ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice