Buy or rent anywhere will surely depend on your situation.
1. Are you qualified to buy
2. How much can you afford based on your down payment, your income
3. What are the market values in your area compared to what you can afford
4. What is your lifestyle --- this will also dictate what type of home you should get (if you don't want to work in the yard, or prefer having amenities like swimming pool, clubhouse, etc. then you may prefer a condo)
5. Do you have a timeline --- sometimes, waiting has its own rewards, such as waiting for short sale approval which ends up in getting a property for less than market value
6. Which is more important to you: be cash rich but real estate poor, or be real estate rich but cash poor?