Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

General Area in 27703 : Real Estate Advice

  • All24
  • Local Info6
  • Home Buying13
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 4
Tue Feb 10, 2015
Caleb Hart answered:
I was unaware that the codes were different from state to state. I know that a lot of people ventilate their attics. I guess they're trying to make sure moisture stays out of the inside of the house. Plus, there's a bunch of different types of vents. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 10, 2015
Tonnitte Brown answered:
Generally you send them notice after the grace period is over and give them 10 days to remedy payment plus late fees. I would send it certified mail with receipt so that you have proof. At that point you turn it over to an attorney who will file the necessary paperwork with the court and represent you at the hearing. The court will give the tenant another 7 days to remedy the past due rent, late fees and court cost which must all be paid directly to the court. By this time another months rent will probably be due and the court will often require it to be paid as well. After those 7 days have passed, the attorney can file a writ of eviction with the Sherriff's Dept. which must be served within 5 days and the tenants will be evicted on that day and you are required to be there (or your representative, such as a property manger) to change the locks..
If your tenant still has their possessions in the property on eviction day, they are given 10 days to contact you (or your representative) to enter the property and remove their personal belongings. After that time you can remove any personal belongings and proceed with preparing the property for a new tenant or to sale it.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 6, 2009
Durham asked:
Does any one know what is the process to evict a tenant in Durham County.

1. How do I start the process ?

2. I assume this is a claim in smart court, what is the address for the smart…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Tonya Snow-Saleeby answered:
Are you the landlord? Do you have a contract with the renter and verbal? How long has it been since they last paid rent? You can attempt to collect through Small Claims Court, but I would suggest contacting the courts and ask what is the proper steps. The amount must be less than $5,000.

You could also contact a collection agency, but do find out what the cost will be for you. I would suggest google search for collection agency in Durham.....many were listed.

Good luck!!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice