Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

22079 : Real Estate Advice

  • All18
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 13
Thu Sep 8, 2016
Jgeomax asked:
Wed Jul 27, 2016 asked:
Mon Jan 5, 2015
resantayana asked:
I've informed the real estate agent that if there is someone interested to rent the property effective Feb 1 , we would be willing to move out on Jan. 25. However, he continues to keep…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 7, 2014
David Kyle answered:
There are pros and cons to all 3 of your options. If you stay put for a year you can resell it and at least get a return for what you paid for your property with making probably a few updates to appliances, paint , etc. if you rent it and you can afford to and buy the property you are looking for then you can sell it when you can get the most for your return. Staying put in your new townhome will not change your positon on you not wanting to be there. So i suggest renting it out and buying the property you want in Springfield or Sell it when you can and buy the property of your desire. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 25, 2013
Diana Watson , Coldwell Banker answered:
Are you still looking? I can help. Please contact me as I can help with rentals and home purchases. If you are in a rental now have you thought about purchasing? There are many programs/loan types out there to help consumers such as first time buyers.

Diana Watson
Avery-Hess, Realtors
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 10, 2012
beza_88 asked:
Tue May 31, 2011
Jennifer Rivera answered:
Yes, I have a rent to own listing in Woodbridge. Please contact me for more details. Thanks.
Please email me with your criteria (bedrooms, baths, price range, move in date and if you have pets) and I will get a list of available rentals ASAP. Thanks :)
Jennifer Rivera
Realtor, Army Wife, & Veteran
Licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia
Move4Free Realty LLC
8848 Rixlew Lane
Manassas, VA 20109
Office: (571) 292-5377 ext 112
Cellular: (571)208-2349
Fax: (703) 542-4240
... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 22, 2010
Vivianne Rutkowski answered:

Think of the short sale as a sale that is contingent on the lender's approval - the same way as buyers have contingencies, home inspection, financing, etc.

In this case, sellers decided that this transaction was NOT in their best interest and they decided to get out based on the lender approval contingency.

Can you blame them?
You would NOT want the seller to come up with $100K to pay off the mortgage - unless money is no object - so YOU could purchase their home, would you?

Unfortunately, it's the risk buyers take when purchasing short sales - sometimes contracts do not end in settlement.

Fortunately, there are other homes available on the mrket.

Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 5, 2009
Buckyb answered:
It's always a gamble. We came here last yr on a military move and are now buying. There's no way to know for sure if the market will be up or down in 3-5 years, but keep in mind BRAC is coming to Belvoir. We're buying now, assuming that things will probably start going up as people move here. Good luck. Mason Neck is pretty. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 3, 2009
Kathy Stark answered:
I have a short sale currently under contract waiting for the bank to approve the sale. About 2 weeks ago my client got a Foreclosure letter too. I call the bank and was told if they are working on a short sale they will hold off on the foreclosure until they make a decision on the short sale.
You or your Realtor should call the bank and ask how they handle this situation.
Hope that helps.
Kathy Stark
Weichert, Realtors
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Gabi answered:
and that is not even the worst....waiting.
i went through 4 short sales and beyond the ridiculous waiting period, some wait for last minute bids of higher than list price and/or decide to even take it off the market or make it a foreclosure.
the problem is that they can be sitting on your contract and several others that offer more knowing that they wont pick yours but wont tell you anything until 3rd party approval.
in the mean time, they can continue receiving offers but you cannot do another offer until you cancel this one...lots of missed opportunities.

i waited on 2 short sales for months and both foreclosed even though the seller was very motivated and all contracts were kicked out.
one house in fairfax list price was $200k and sold for $276k, had 26 contracts and sold after 9 months.
unless you can wait 6 months, dont bother.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 13, 2008
Hi answered:

You should have sold it in 2006. You missed the boat. You may not be making any profit now. In 2010 when your arm resets, then what? You may not be able to refinance if it appraises for less than you owe. Anyways, good luck ... more
2 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Chuck answered:
I am in the same position you are in. I still rent because:
1. I don't want to live in a bad area
2. I don't want a 1.5 hour commute
3. I don't want to live in a 400sq/ft studio.

I will save my money for a nice deposit. I figure if I can save 10k a year, I will be able to buy a place in 2040...
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Search Advice