Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

20037 : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 9
Tue Dec 29, 2015
Karen Peyton answered:
I'm not answering your question, asking one myself instead.
Why in the world would your board want to assume the risk and responsibility of renting apartments? As fiduciaries of the community's interest, the wise and prudent means to proceed would be through the use of professional, a property management company.

Best of luck!
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Feb 28, 2014
George Eckerle answered:
In all of the high-rises in Foggy Bottom, the fee is payable monthly.
As to what it includes, that depends on the community.
In co-ops, the fees include the real estate taxes. In condos, they do not.
In older communities, the fees can include some, or all utilities.
In newer communities, the utilities are usually separate.
In the Watergate, the fee is going to include RE taxes, all utilities and even basic cable.
In the Ritz, electric, gas and cable are going to be separate.
In listings, they usually have a line "Condo fee includes" and then list what it includes, so you can check this out on a case by case basis.
Hope this helps.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 11, 2012
Ericka S. Black answered:
Hey Jilibit,

Currently, there is one place active at the Columbia Residences. It has two bedrooms and two baths. Let me know your availability and we can check it out ( My number is (202) 670-6677.

Talk to you soon,
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Connie Vanderpool answered:
I can do it, in record time. I have a lot of benefits that I offer with my listings. And they sell in a day or two if you do what I tell you to do. I get top dollar for them too.

Call me or email me.

Connie Vanderpool
Re/Max Gateway
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 7, 2012
Kelly Putz answered:
Hi Bob,

Because you asked about apartments and condos, I'm guessing you are looking to rent, rather than buy.

So, in a 10 block radius of the State Department, only going as far south as Constitution, because Southwest DC is not feasibly walkable, I only found 6 properties under $3,000/month.
- $1500 for a 370 sq. ft. studio
- $1600 for a 434 sq. ft. studio
- $1995 for a 490 sq. ft. studio
- $2750 for a 735 sq. ft. 1BR
- $2780 for an unknown size studio, but includes garage parking
- $2941 for an unknown size 1BR, but includes garage parking

The last two are located at The Avenue, which is on I Street across the street from Foggy Bottom Metro and I have a client who just moved in there who also works at the State Department. If you'd like to view any of these properties, I'd be happy to drive you around to view them.

Kelly Putz
Realtor® - DC/MD/VA
Keller Williams McLean
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 12, 2011
Tammy answered:
I was rated one in the top 7% of realtors in Sarasota, Fl. I would be happy to work with you or any friends, family or associates that need assistance in buying or selling their home. There are several excellent realtors in Sarasota. You can find the top of the crop by searching the web for Sarasota homes for sale and the websites that pop up are at the top of their game. My websites are,, and I am in the process of obtaining a new site for sarasota homes. I have a team of realtors, title company, attorney (Lauren Kohl, Esq.), CPA's and Mortgage Brokers to assist you with the sale or buying of your home. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 2, 2011
Jim Simms answered:
It doesn’t matter if you are self employed or not, they are required to look at the entire picture. In our shop we order tax transcripts for the previous 2 years on every loan application, I always request full tax returns for both years to see if there are any business deductions. The problem isn’t classification, it is net income. If a buyer is a regular W2 wage earner but has a side business that looses money, it is the same as being fully self employed. The deductions are going to count against them.

Why is this creating a problem?
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon May 9, 2011
John Settles NMLS ID:448870 answered:
I have done loans for many borrowers with less than 2 years of employment, however, you, like them, will have to show Related Experience. Here is the language from the FHA Underwriting Manual.

"Between one and two years: An individual self-employed between one
and two years must have at least two years of documented previous
successful employment (or a combination of one year of employment and
formal education or training), in the line of work in which the borrower is
self-employed or in a related occupation to be eligible.
• Less than one year: The income from borrowers self-employed less than
one year may not be considered as effective income."
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Sun May 8, 2011
Melissa Barkalow answered:
Hi Christina

Lenders typically don't have a problem if you stay in the same field of work, but you need to have been at the new job for a couple of months to verify that you have income coming in. I would double check with a lender to make sure there would not be any issues and I can recommend a few for you to talk with if you are interested.


... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Search Advice