Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

19073 : Real Estate Advice

  • All14
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 11
Sun Sep 4, 2016
Vic asked:
Sat Mar 29, 2014
fairymuse88 answered:
Adapting your home in small ways can help you stay safer and more independent. Simply installing handrails and bathtub grab bars can help prevent falls and related injuries.
Home Adaptations for Independence helps low-income seniors and people with disabilities finance home modifications for accessible, safe and independent living. Eligible homeowners, renters and landlords can receive up to $20,000 per home in the form of a forgivable loan. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 29, 2013
Monica White answered:
The United States government has grants available for all kinds of home improvements. To qualify for one of these grants, you have to show what home improvements are necessary and that you can't afford to pay for the home improvements. If you're approved, you'll receive the money and will be able to start renovating your home. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Dan Tabit answered:
Bernadette Boyle,
Dollars per square foot is a common trap people fall into with all the information available. IF, all other factors are comparable, lot size, age of the home, quality of the finishes, builder, just to name a few, it begins to have relevance.
I sold a luxury home for a lower $perSqFt than a starter home and they were 2 blocks apart. One went for nearly $1,300,000 the other for under $400,000.
When I do a CMA to determine value this is a consideration, but only one of many. Please don't get hung up on this, for your own benefit.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 22, 2012
R. Eric Axelson answered:
Kris, yes. In PA, procuring cause is not the person who first showed the house, but the person who caused him to make an offer to purchase. If you are the person who convinces him to reconsider and make a new offer, then yes, you have a case, but it will take politely getting the other agent to agree.

You should ask yourself, although you are now an agent, you are new. Are you doing this just for the money? Or do you really think you have something of value to add to help your brother? I would definitely run everything by your broker and use this as a teaching experience.

Good luck and feel free to call to chat!

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Emily Morgan answered:
If you have owned your home for quite some time or if you put down a good amount of cash when purchasing your property and your home’s value has not declined substantially with the real estate crash, you may be able to use the equity in your home to secure a home equity line of credit (HELOC). A home equity loan enables you to draw from the difference between the current mortgage loan balance and the amount of principal that has accumulated. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 20, 2012
Emily Morgan answered:
The U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), federal housing program financially helps moderate or low-income families with disabilities to rent or buy a home. The goal of this program is for people with limited economy to be able to afford to rent or buy a home. Section 8 offers subsidies for both renters and home owners. Approved recipients will be granted monthly home ownership assistance payments to help cover mortgage payments. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 17, 2010
Pete Daddy answered:
Short answer is very likely. I've lived in neighboring Broomall for seven years and the taxes in NS are techinically less based on millage, but the assessments in NS are genearlly higher so overall the taxes are higher. Also taxes have gone up at a much lower rate over the last few years in NS so the gap is becoming neglible. I would surmise that the taxes will only go up a few percent in NS. Overall, NS can still be a bargain for your tax dollar depending on the home. Another consideration is Newtown township itself. The township building is relavtively new and there is no need for expansion in services because NS is stable and the vast majority of the area is already developed. If SAP ever leaves the residents will feel the pain (that's a ton of tax revenue). ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 8, 2010
Steve Sisman answered:
Good afternoon Bernadette, the easiest waay to verify zoning classification and usage is to contact the Newtown Township zoning officer. With regard to the property usage, single family or multi-family, the zoning officer is again the best person to contact. It is possible that the above was used as a multi-family unit prior to current zoning regulations; however, it may not qualify for multiple use today. I hope that my response gives you some direction. Please feel free to contact me, if you are not currently contracted with a licensed real estate professional, with any additional questions or concerns. Thanks for taking the time to review my response, Steve ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 24, 2009
Phyllis Logan asked:
We would like to put a more efficient heating and cooling unit in, new carpet and vinyl siding
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 22, 2008
Fred Glick answered:
Hello Pamela,

Which area(s) West of Philadelphia were you looking at? There are 3 counties with many townships/boroughs and towns and they all do things very differently.

Please email me where you were interested in and I'd be happy to do the research for you!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice