Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 12401 : Real Estate Advice

  • All22
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 8
Thu Aug 4, 2016
Patricia Davis asked:
Banks know a single woman at 60 would be retiring soon so would they give a mortgage? On the other hand, the person would have to either pay mortgage or pay rent so why not?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 24, 2016
Dan Tabit answered:
There are lawyers and former lawyers that participate in this forum. Not many and more would be welcome. Trulia has all but abandoned this forum since Zillow bought them, so I wouldn't expect to much to be added. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jan 23, 2016
Judy asked:
Sometimes it says Single Family home or Multi-Family Home. So what does it mean when it says unspecified?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu May 21, 2015
Elizabeth Brown asked:
Are there any good realtors in Kingston, NY that could possibly help me find a 2 bedroom house for rent or lease option to buy...Perhaps there are homes that have been on the market for…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 18, 2015
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Every city or town assesses their community and creates the zoning laws or ordinances. You would have to file a motion and seek authorization from the town to change the zoning laws. This can be difficult since it requires approval from the community members. Also at issue is the other commercial businesses in the zoning district that the hairshop is located. If a zoning change occurs, every business would be affected - not just the hair salon.

I'm a retired realtor and I would suggest you speak with somebody in charge at your local Town Hall.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 7, 2011
Jolie Muss answered:
Yes as others have said it would be best to have a real estate attorney handle the transaction. Also there are situations where responsibilities, rights of way , variances etc can be transferred (or grandfathered) with the property, so a title search and even title insurance wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Contacting your tax advsior would also be advisable in case there are any tax liabilities that could affect you or the person giving you the gift. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 4, 2011
Amy Bernhardt-Moore answered:
I agree that you should always have an experienced real estate attorney on hand during any real estate purchase.

Are you asking whether or not an oil tank is a legal requirement in the sale of a mobile home? Does the mobile home have an oil-burning heating unit? Or is it heated with a propane unit? Is there a heating system at all?

Whether you are buying just the mobile home (not the land) or a mobile home on land I recommend that you bring along a licensed home inspector who has experience in mobile homes. S/he will be able to help you analyze the heating/cooling and other systems of the mobile home. Also should a buried tank be an issue s/he may help you locate any tank that may be buried (or connect you with a reputable oil tank abatement company.) Licensed home inspectors can be found at the New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services:

Best of luck!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Voices Member answered:
You don't necessarily need to use oil as the fuel. Perhaps the fuel source is propane. That is usually the case in a mobile home park. For that matter the heat source may be electric. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice