Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

10035 : Real Estate Advice

  • All13
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 12
Wed Jun 28, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Your budget is too low. I would advise looking in the Bronx. Rentals are cheaper there.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jun 23, 2017
Judemock1971 asked:
Fri May 5, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Have you contacted the agent and told them to take it down? Trulia will not take it down unless they receive authorization from the agent.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Oct 13, 2016
Cageswife0605 asked:
Tue Aug 12, 2014
Matthew Hawkins answered:
Hi Lumi,

If you're still in need of an agent for assistance, we have a wonderful team who would be happy to help you. Please contact me if you're still looking.

Matthew Hawkins
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 24, 2013
Donald Mituzas answered:
It seems you can work with whoever you please at this point.

The first part of your question is a bit confusing. "Agency Disclosure" and "Fee" are two different things. Although I am not a rental agent in Manhattan, what I understand is that typically the tenant pays a fee equal to a percentage of the annual rent. That requires a contract between you and your agent. It is implied that as you have a contract with an agent, they have a fiduciary responsibility to you and are acting on your behalf. Depending on how the contract is written, some agents will consider this also their agency disclosure. Some agents to be on the safe side will also have you sign an agency disclosure.

My questions would be, did the first agent discuss agency disclosure so you understood it and did she also discuss her fee? Just because she didn't actually have you sign something does not necessarily mean she was unprofessional. The big question becomes, would you have found this apartment without her? You might legally be able to use another agent, but is it the right thing to do?

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
New York's #1 Broker
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 29, 2012
Katherine (Kate) Shindle answered:
I assume Nathan is asking because he's considering an HDFC/HPD purchase, where the income caps for buyers are calculated using a ratio that involves median income.

Nathan, depending on what kind of property you're looking for, I would be happy to talk to you about this. Most listings have very specific caps that can be easily accessed (without doing any actual math; hooray!) So there are ways to find out if you qualify without doing more than three minutes of research.

I live in a HPD building myself; bought in 2007 and am very happy here. There are a few land mines you want to look out for, but it's a terrific way to get into the market at lower-than-market prices.

Send me a message if you'd like to talk further. My building is in Harlem; a LOT of exciting opportunities have come along in the past few years, and they seem to be continuing.

Good luck!

Douglas Elliman Real Estate
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 7, 2012
Judith Amorim Dias answered:
I have experience with Federal, State, County and City housing programs and would appreciate the opportunity of buyers looking to transition from NYC to NJ.

I lived in Manhattan for more than 3 years and enjoyed all the community had to offer. In 2003, I moved to West Essex, Morris County NJ as a result of starting a family and have been here ever since. How can I help other families in your community looking to move to NJ with that transition?
Just 18 miles west of Manhattan; West Essex, Morris County provides upscale communities with superior education and recreational resources.

Judith Amorim Dias - Mobile: 973-444-5643,

Invested in the economic, educational and social development of our West Essex and Morris County community.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Rob answered:
Your sponsoring broker should be able to provide you with comprehensive instructions on how to improve a listing's performance. The brokers below are right. 1) make sure it looks it's best 2) makes sure you have great ad copy 3) make sure you have comprehensive advertising everywhere. If all that doesn't do it, have your client lower the price. ... more
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 22, 2009
MAP1922 answered:
There is an earlier response that says it's illegal -- I would like to know what law prohibits a bank selling directly.

I can offer information from the FDIC's website and also mention that the site contains information on properties that are for sale

If you have been qualified to purchase investment properties, that would be an excellent starting point. If you are in need of further assistance, please contact my office.

Best wishes,
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 23, 2007
Aileen-Manhattan-NYC answered:
Hi Prudi,

I believe E. 118th may be in the 25th Precinct. I've attached the NYPD web site below. Feel free to contact the NYPD directly to confirm.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any additional questions. ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice