Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

10032 : Real Estate Advice

  • All21
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 16
Wed Oct 25, 2017
Robert.stevens asked:
Are any landlords accepting LINC in NYC? Asking on behalf of a single mother, looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in either Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan (Harlem, Washington Heights,…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 17, 2017
Bbiolay asked:
Can anyone recommend some licensed apartment/ co-op appraisers that don't charge a fortune? I am in the Inwood area of Manhattan.

Thank you!
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 8, 2016
Jonathan Lahey answered:
Hi Debbied1009,

Your address home can be evaluate by using Zillow zestimate .. it will give you a value of your home.. before you can get a lawyer.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jan 17, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
If you visit NYC Housing website, they have it.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 8, 2015
It depends on the type of transaction. Some purchases that naturally have a bit of "hair" on them such as short sales will require more man hours thus, a higher fee. The most attorney's can charge between $1500 is traditionally the standard fee. I have relationships with attorneys who charge my clients a flat $995-$1050. I would be happy to share their information with you :-). ... more
0 votes 40 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 13, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Be mindful rates can vary; attorneys set their own fees, so consider shopping around or ask people you may know for referrals.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 15, 2014
John Peitler answered:
Please call me for assistance. My name is Erika and I can be reached at 917-335-8569 Thank you and good luck.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
I asked for a feedback from brokers because most of the coops I was seeing in July on UES/UWS and Midtown under 1MM didn't have a full second BR - they were mostly converted from alcoves and were small or dark, or apartments were located very far east and had a longer walk from a subway that my clients wanted.
From what I saw back in the summer, a decent coop apartment with 2BR 2BA 900SF+ would start at $1000/ PS in a basic doorman building. I was interested in other brokers experience finding a full 2BR/2BA coop for their clients in July 2013, and at what price point they saw a small 2d br changing into a real BR.
Unfortunately, most brokers shared their attitude in their responses and did not offer any helpful insights.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 10, 2013
Irina Karan answered:
It's good to check the building department, you can even request a meeting with the developer, contractors/architects - anybody you want - to know what you need to know.

I agree to adding protective clauses, but there are other aspects of the purchase we don't know from your post (like do you need financing?).

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 10, 2013
Ivan Cardona answered:
Impossible to point out pros and cons without learning more about your interest in the area. Buying real estate is about what benefits the investment will bring to the investor. I am open to working with you whenever you are ready to begin. Washington Heights is a great neighborhood with lots of diversity, history and culture.


Ivan Cardona
Manhattan Rental Apartments at
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 28, 2013
Donald Mituzas answered:
Janet and Richard you are both correct. Some just want to get the VIP badge (big deal) and will answer anything regardless of how old or irrelevant it is. Then there are those who jump in once it starts and give one line elaborations for the same purpose as a couple have. Answering questions over a certain age should be prevented by Trulia as all in all Trulia has a very good useful website.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 25, 2013
Andrew Watson answered:
It is definitely beneficial. Hdfc requires seven years of owner occupancy .You cannot sell or refinance during the period.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
you should speak to several local attorneys to compare - the fee is not pre-set.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
Spring is a great time to put your property on the market and the early fall. This is true that now the market slowed down, though there are still lots of buyers looking and the lowest supply in 15 years.
I would be happy to help.

Elena Ravich
Rakita Realty
646 593 7207
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Elena Ravich, Esq. answered:
it is a good idea to use a lawyer that someone you trust recommended. I usually suggest several attorneys to my clients, so that people can speak to them and make their own choice. Some attorneys charge less than others and some are more diligent than others, and provide higher quality services. As a broker, who worked with many attorneys, I know which of them can protect my clients' interest better and do a superb job but I always give clients a choice of several potential candidates. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Therese L Korahais answered:
Hi Rubina, congratulations. I have referred many clients and customers to Ralph ALLSTATE INSURANCE 718-352-8080. Usually your coop management/ board requires a certain amount of insurance, but if they didn't ask for a paid receipt before closing-yours may not have the requirement. The management carries a blanket insurance for structure, common areas, etc. etc. You should have just for your apartment in case of damage caused by you to other units,(bathroom overflows and damages the lower unit, etc. etc). Ask Ralph-should be approx $200.00-$350.00 a year.depending on how old the building (piping, electrical) square footage, contents, etc,etc, Let me know how it works out for you. Terry K 718-614-3167 or email ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice