Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

10003 : Real Estate Advice

  • All44
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying17
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 38
Sat Nov 12, 2016
Elaine Stratos answered:
...Why is it necessary to have a Guarentor Insurent ask for their fee of one mos rent... cash 2100.00
their fee,as well as escrow for another two mos. 4100.00..for the insurance.......when the landlord demanded another
4100.00 f or two mos..........all because my Fico is low but my bank account has 290,000 cash from selling my a much more expensive area......east 62nd street........looks like a Predatory situation...
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 3, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
You can't because a co-op unit is not real estate. Buying a co-op means you are buying shares of a limited housing stock that gives you a proprietary lease to occupy a specific apartment. Building & lot numbers are for condo units & houses. The co-op building will have a block & lot number - not the individual apartments. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Apr 12, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
It should be the co-op. What's wrong with your door? Is it the lock or is the door off the hinge or is the door cracked? The issue is money. If the problem is the lock or hinge, you will be better off paying to fix it yourself or at least try to have the super fix it. Give him a few dollars. If the door is cracked and you need a complete new door, that is expensive. The co-op should pay for this especially if it's on the outside facing the hallway. If the crack is on the inside facing your apartment, they may have you pay for it. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 16, 2016
Sally Grenier answered:
It means it's under contract. FYI -- The best way to search for a home is to have a Realtor working for you as a Buyer's Agent. Most of the listings you'll find here and on other sites are out dated and the status isn't necessarily accurate. If you're in hot market, they are most likely under contract. It can take Trulia (and Zillow and weeks or months to show a property is under contract or sold! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 9, 2016
james turano answered:
In New York, especially Queens,New York there are many Realtors like myself who after 37 years have learned from day 1, that agents must attain listings, You can not depend on others to get listings. You can not depend just on Multiple Listing to attain listings to show your clients.
In my early years I attained listings the old fashion way, called calling and going door to door.
I averaged 12-24 exclusives per year in my first 5 years in the business.
Today, I still with my experience and now reputation and referrals average 12-24 exclusive listings per year. But I never ever put them on MLS. Reason, if you get the listing then you should be able to sell it as well. Pricing a home is key. And being unique is a must to be successful.
When agents tell owners put it on MLS and you will have dozens, hundreds of agents working for you, I just laugh. You do not need a parade in your home to sell it.
You need expert advertisements and skills of a veterans agent/Broker to sell your home quickly and for the most money.
Looking to buy a home, well there will be no commission for an agent if they buy one of my listings. The key is to buy a home in a great location, great price and before all the other experienced buyers find out about it. The commission should not be the most important item on your list. Next do not become like some customers, they make it a career looking for a home. Can't make decisions while years go buy and prices keep climbing.
... more
1 vote 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 2, 2015
Christopher Pagli answered:
Cash purchases do need board approval. It's not about how you purchase but what your future finances will look like. Cash doesn't impress them and in their eyes can be seen over night. They want to see consistency in your income. Although coops are similar some are run differently then others. What they require is unique to each building. Have your agent inquire with the buildings management company for the most accurate answer.

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 17, 2015
Evelynludley asked:
hit the back arrow in the upper left and save the file when prompted. I need to have the appearance of being popular. Like most things that break and ruin other things on Android, you need…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 16, 2015
Motuzzedu asked:
If youare planning to but nevertheless need to feelgood then you 've arrive at the place that is correct. This short article can help give you the data you should learn to diet the balanced…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 2, 2015
Quinntonia Berry answered:
You should contact a local Realtor in the area. They would know the market and be able to assist you free of charge. Good Luck!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 28, 2015
John Reeves answered:
You can do it , On the Search Results Page, hover with your mouse indicator over the property you wish to hide from your search. Two buttons will appear, "like" and "hide" select the hide button and it will hide. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2014
Schoman-Johnson Team answered:
Short-term rentals for periods less than 30 days are in violation of the New York State multiple dwelling law, unless they fall under limited exceptions, which doesn't seem to apply to your situation.
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Sun May 4, 2014
David Benjamin Moye answered:
The ABSOLUTE earliest time for you to look would be MID JUNE.

Here's why:
Leases usually start the 1st of the month, regardless of when the person moved in.
Most leases have "Tenant must provide 45 days of notice if they decide to vacate"

Thus, by Mid-late June, most of the August inventory has revealed itself.


The apartments for August will thenl rent in the following order:
Best apartments that are nice (People who grab quick)--------> Worst Apartments that meet people's minimum space requirements (People who "don't prepare", "don't get with a good, reputable broker", "Don't realize what position they are in to negotiate", "people who think they will find a great no fee deal in Manhattan", until it is too late.)

I've been playing this rental game for a while now, I'll be happy to help you win! you can reach me at 803-309-3470 to discuss further
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 17, 2013
James Furlong answered:
Best to consult with a lawyer as regards the legality. I would recommend you speak with the mortgage company to determine the reason for the action.
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 2, 2013
James Manning answered:
I live in Westfield and would be happy to assist you with your search. Please call me at your earliest convenience.

James Manning
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 10, 2013
Advancewindows answered:
Usually, it is being abided by the law that landlords need to provide a specific amount of notice (usually 24 hours) before entering a rental unit. Landlords can usually enter on shorter notice if it is impracticable to provide the required amount of notice. Just check your lease agreement to clarify what rights the landlord had to start showing your apartment before your move-out date. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 28, 2013
Fern Hamberger answered:
Hello Kevin,
I would not buy without a CO, since it may take a long time to get it. Some developers will not get it for a long time, because of major violations that they have to fix! and some will get it within a reasonable amount of time. so if you are to buy without a CO, it is a somewhat of a risk.
If your heart is set up on this property, I would consult with my lawyer and I would keep an eye on the property you are inetrested in, since the status of the property can change from one day to another. The major risk is the downpayment which will be locked and in escrow until you close on your property. Dowpayments are all negotiable and depending on the developer and the location of the property 10% downpayment is not always the rule.
best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.
Fern Hamberger
Vice president Associate broker NYRS
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Javier Meneses answered:
As mentioned below, if your new position is a salary paying job, they'll use your current income to qualify you. So for example, if the new job you started in 2012 pays you $3,000 gross every 15 days, this means that your monthly qualifying income is $6,500. They will check your 2012 W-2 and recent pay stubs to make sure that this bi-weekly income is consistent. If you're not paid a salary, but commission instead, they'll average the past 2 years (including year to date). If for some reason your 2012 commissions were less than 2011, they'll use the 2012 commission income.

If you're worried that they'll use your previous income simply because they asked for those tax returns, don't be! Lenders must document 2 recent years worth of tax returns as part of the 2 year employment history that's required. Just speak to your Loan Officer and make sure you're being qualified based on the right amount. Good luck!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS #23130
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
(516) 606-9648
... more
2 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 9, 2012
Fern Hamberger answered:
Hello Ally,
The key to Gramercy park, is as valuable as you can make it! you can enjoy the park every day or just hold onto the key for prestige!! You seem to be intrigued with the KEY to Gramercy Park!! I was asked by a renter to only lease an apt around the park so he can get the key! and I did, but i do not see him sitting in Gramercy park that often!! It's a beautiful park and only available to people who own or rent an apt around the Park. It is THEIR Common area. Building around the park pay Maintenance to upkeep the Park so they can have a common area. IT is not only for the buildings around the park, it is also for a few other buildings, just a few more, since they managed to get it. The synaguogue as well as the church also have a key. So if you pass by and see a Christmas tree as well as a Menorah! then you would know that people from the Church or Synagugue along with its congragation went in the park to decorate the tree or light the Menorah!! The congregation of course will not have the same priviledges as the building, since it is a one day deal!
There are so many articles and books written about Gramercy park and Gramercy so you can enjoy all of these articles and know more by googling Gramercy park. The good news is Gramercy park is not the only park in the nrighborhood; we have Madison Square park, Stuyvesent Park and Union Square are all withing a few steps away and they are all open to the public unlike Gramercy park.
Let me know if you have any other questions or need a key to the Park ;-)
Best Regards
Fern hamberger
Vice president Associate broker NYRS
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Philip Lang answered:
Irving Place is one of the most exclusive addresses in the city, and I wouldn't worry about a high school tarnishing either the value of the property or your enjoyment of the apartment. The kids are gone in the middle of the day and don't hang around that street after school. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice