Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

02302 : Real Estate Advice

  • All16
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 14
Thu Jan 25, 2018
Quadrida87 asked:
I bought a house in August of 2016. At the begining of 2018 I got my property taxes and there is a $1,500 outstanding vacant property tax/fee on top of my normal property taxes. I contacted…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 13, 2015
Kelfi5 answered:
Is there a particular reason why you are considering rent to own? There are grant programs available that can help with down payment/closing costs. If you are interested, you can email me at and I can give you more information. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat May 9, 2015
John Harrington answered:
You could try utilizing the FHA's First time Homebuyer program. The down payment is 3.5%, so it is a good alternative to a conventional mortgage, which could require 20% down. Definitely contact a mortgage professional for more details. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 17, 2015
Al Roppolo answered:
Hi Jay
Im an agent in Brockton and I would love to help answer any questions you may have...Please feel free to reach out to me either on my website or 5083262697
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 3, 2011
Alo webb answered:
The association will not seek fees from you because your lender will payoff those fees once the court confirm the sale. Most 1099C can be substantially reduced or dismissed if you understand the foreclosure process and the laws of your state. If you would like us to assist you further please contact us at, We do charge a consulting fee for services. ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Lori Lincoln answered:
John, I just studied this again for the umpteenth time (lol). Things change every day. Yes the lender can come after a deficiency and they do.You just need some good advice from a qualified Realtor and a good real estate attorney. I earned the CDPE designation and have knowledge and help with short sales.
Please contact me with questions.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 11, 2010
Zoey107 answered:
I own a condo (2BR/2BA, 7th floor) which we are looking to sell or rent. We are open to rent to own agreements!
Link attached to the condo building.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 9, 2010
Christine Moran Realtor & Notary answered:
You can find a REALTOR to help you. I can email you a list of properties in Brockton and help you find the right agent in your area.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Ethan Biederman answered:
Hi Kerri,

Installing hardwood in basements can cause problems because it is prone to expansion and contraction with moisture levels. You need a very dry subfloor to install the hardwood on. Engineered flooring is a good alternative to hardwood if you want to keep the look. That said, here is how I prep a basement floor.

The critical first step to installing any basement floor is to address any moisture issues before you begin. If you have visible moisture anywhere you will need to take steps to correct this. Drainage is a discussion to itself so I will leave it at that. Even if your floor appears dry I recommend taping a 2x2 sheet of clear plastic to the floor and leaving it for a couple days to see if moisture forms on the underside. Remember, it's cold up North right now so the moisture level could be deceivingly low.

My preferred method of installing a subfloor is to install a layer of 1" extruded polystyrene foam(tongue and groove edge) to cover the entire floor. Fill the spaces where the foam meets the basement wall with Great Stuff(foam insulation in a can). I tape the seams of the XPS foam with tyvek tape to make a tight vapor barrier.

Depending on the amount of headroom you have(this is a code issue so measure before you plan) I will either directly apply the subfloor at this point using tap-con screws or a powder actuated nailer or install framing members which are called sleepers. For hardwood flooring the sleeper method would be preferable. You can use 2x4 or 1x6 pressure treated wood for the sleepers, whichever is more affordable and works with your headroom. You can also rip the 1x6 in half. Install the sleepers at 16" intervals, on center, with either powder actuated concrete nails or tapcon screws. The 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood should be installed across the sleepers so each 4' seam is on a sleeper. You must use either galvanized or stainless steel screws to attach the plywood because of the pressure treated studs. I also recommend using sub-floor adhesive. Viola! you now have a warm and dry subfloor to attach your hardwood to.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 23, 2009
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS answered:
First Time the homeowner is the seller and technically the bank negotiates with the home owner. You may be able to get the purchase price lowered because of conditions but the bank has done an appraisal and knows the value of the property. The seller may not have the funds to pay for repairs so it is up to the bank and all of us (tax payers) to dig a little deeper. Check with your agent but you may be able to a repair discount if the repairs that are needed were not appearant. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 23, 2009
Janet Peterson Spaulding answered:
Hi Pennny

This home is a short sale and the owners have accepted an offer. If you would like more information on this property or similar properties in the area, please give me a call at 508-846-2202 or and I would be glad to fill you in on the details. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 19, 2009
Scott A. Nelson answered:
Well find out the reason for the delay, if it's reasonable (out of town, etc.) then you may not need/want to. If it's simply cold feet on the part of the sellers then there may be other issues you need to look into. Often times a buyers agent or listing agent will have to extend out and offer ideas outside the box to remedy a situation. How to proceed next really depends on the reason for the extension. If they're having trouble locating a property to move to you might find them a top agent in the area where they're looking.

From the sound of what you have provided, the purchase and sales agreement is a fairly standard document, the attorney's both work to add individual addendums or a mutually agreeable addendum. This can take several days if either client isn't readily available to approve any changes in a timely fashion. Weekends don't help. They might just be looking for an extension to sign the P&S for contractual reasons, offers to purchase usually have a time & date for the P&S to be signed, the attorney's would want each client to sign for an extension if the dates were getting close, to keep both parties protected and extend the offer to purchase terms. It's a common occurance if that's the reason.

Hope that helps,
... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice