Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

01952 : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 6
Mon Aug 18, 2014
kelslips asked:
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Ron April answered:
Isn't she an "EX" girlfriend? Why would she want to keep living with an "EX" boyfriend? Anyhow, did she sign a rental or lease agreement with one of the owners? Typically when a home is sold, it has to be free of all personal belongings as well as tenants. If she has no agreement, I don't see how she can be anything more than a trespasser after the property is sold. However, in Massachusetts, she is probably protected. I would consult a good real estate atty in the area. They can give you the answers in 15 minutes. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 15, 2009
Ken Lambert answered:
Hi Elizabeth- I'm not an attorney and not on the zoning board anywhere- but a few practical thoughts-
1. Is it a private septic system? If so, you likely couldn't add any bedrooms anyways. If its town sewer, that alleviates that worry.
2. Can you pull a permit to merely "expand" one of the existing apt. units? Adding a bedroom, living room, and a full bath in the basement isn't necessarily illegal. Adding a kitchen/ kitchenette- well, maybe.

All that said, the other answers below I would agree with in general. Towns do not officially want to set a precendent by allowing you to bend the laws a little bit. You can bet that others will find out and be asking why they cannot do it as well- and that is the worst case scenario for the Town's workers and boards.
Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice