Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Park Slope : Real Estate Advice

  • All128
  • Local Info21
  • Home Buying30
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions10

Activity 2
Wed Apr 10, 2013
Jacques Ambron answered:
It's imperative that you hire a good landlord/tenant lawyer to begin proceedings. If you need a recomendation, just ask.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Mitchell Feldman answered:
Yes, as long as you can prove to the IRS that it has become your primary residence. The thing it that if your profit is too large you may still have to pay capital gains tax. Remember, a married couple gets a $500,000 exemption and a single individual gets a $250,000 exemption. If the profit respectively is more that $500,000 or $250,000, you will still have to pay capital gains on the remainder of the profit. Having said that, there are other ways to write off capital gains depending on how you claim your taxes. Speak to your accountant to get the correct answer.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice