Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Dallas : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info178
  • Home Buying894
  • Home Selling97
  • Market Conditions50

Activity 33
Wed May 24, 2017
Eduardocatdenas answered:
Where can I find the blue prints for 4821 crestpoint ln garland tx 75043
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 9, 2017
Mareylpz answered:
my house was build in 1940 . want to tear doe and rebuild in same land.
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 4, 2016
Susie Kay answered:
That depends on how much update you'd like to do. I would suggest that you obtain bids from a couple contractors and go from there.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Mar 25, 2016
Dc.korn answered:
Just curious. Why would you have to pay penalty. (presumably for walking away and losing your deposit) for a house with that much damage? Did a typical 'home onspector' find the damage you mentioned (foundation, gas, plumbing, roof? If yes, I would bring in an engineer to review home structure and systems. More detail will help you, especially if Seller is paying for repairs and may nickle and dime you for every icontractor line item (a roof with exact same shingles can be installed poorly and last 5 years or installed correctly -- underlayment, flashing, proper ventilation, etc and last 20+ years).

But it's your call. If you provide a bit more detail (such as: Foundation-needs this; Plumber: new gas line to fireplace and dryer,and new water heater; Roofer: new roof due to age, leaks, hail damage), I may be able to help. You may also save some $ by hiring individual contractors vs. GC, especially if problems don't 'overlap' each other (plumbing work in foundation area). If problems are specific, GC will just add 20% to your cost.
... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 15, 2015
Dawn Oishi answered:
I agree with Susie Kay, there is just no way to know a conservative cost without having a construction gm or foreman walk the property and submit a bid. Then, there is the question this property for you to live in or an investment flip/flip and hold? These repair costs will be different based on finishes and such that may be necessary for you but not if flipping to sell or flipping to hold/lease. In any event, connect yourself with a local Realtor. They can be your boots on the ground by finding you a home and having a team of vendors that can submit bids on the repairs. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 12, 2015
Susie Kay answered:
What about your house floor plan? Please elaborate.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 23, 2015
Susie Kay answered:
You can definitely visit a few real estate brokerages and promote your business.

Good luck!
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 14, 2015
Sally Grenier answered:
Have you thought about getting your sewer line scoped? It's a pretty common procedure.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 1, 2015
Adam Stern answered:
i'd be interested - where/what is it?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jun 12, 2015
Jackson Willis answered:
There should still be a bit of space left to be able to put a screen in. If you're having trouble with it though you could always get a professional out to check on it for you. I'm sure they would be able to locate and fix the problem relatively easily for you. That way you can get the screens put in like you want.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 19, 2015
Diana Hellman answered:
In my opinion, the hardwood option is definitely the better option. Many buyers have allergies and prefer the hardwood, and generally it is preferred by most buyers today.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 11, 2014
Amy Arey answered:
I'm sure you have already taken care of this, but I recommend the award-winning Alan Hilsabeck, (also featured on HGTV) who specializes in Kitchen and Bath Remodels:

Here's a post on one of his topics:

-Amy S. Arey, Realtor
Halo Group Realty, LLC
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 7, 2013
Kenneth "Kenny" Bebensee answered:
Fri Oct 18, 2013
Jason Todd answered:
Hello Dmitry,

I have worked with many builders and have done some really great negotiating . However I think the $60 a sq ft is going to be really tough though.Let me know if you haven't already selected a Realtor.

Jason Todd-214-458-4198
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Elizabeth Morgan answered:
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Don Groff answered:
There are just going to be way too many variables to give an accurate estimate. I would bid out the project and get estimates from at least 3 different companies.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157 |
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Dixon Wong answered:
Hi Bigjinc,

I wouldnt think that would be a requirement. Most permit needs when you need a licensed electricial and plumbing work done to your property. But you should be fine. But like most agents mentioned, you should just double check with HOA.


JP and Associate
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 24, 2012
Bill Crowther answered:
Talk to your realtor about their clients who do flips and see if you can share the contractors who are used to doing flips. Contractors who are good, (staying busy rehabbing an investor's property) always seem to know other contractors who have like mindsets/work habits. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Dallas Texas answered:
Recommend to contact contractors and obtain bids on the property '

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer

Follow me on Facebook
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice