Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Quality of Life in Baltimore : Real Estate Advice

  • All686
  • Local Info59
  • Home Buying244
  • Home Selling30
  • Market Conditions21

Activity 6
Tue Nov 11, 2014
Kevin Mayhew answered:

Your case has merit, the issue is that the home improvement commission is there to protect the home owner and not the individual who purchase for investment which essentially places your transaction in the commercial realm.
The reason the home improvement commission does not regulate unlicensed contractors is that in the state of MD. you are not obligated to pay an unlicensed contractor regardless of any contract you may have entered into.
I suggest that the realtor has probably breach ethical boundaries which may well cost license and fines which will be determined by the real estate commission.

I am licensed as both an agent and a home improvement contractor but I keep a firewall between the transactions.

Your best bet is to consult with an attorney who is versed in construction law, they should be able to give you a heads up in relation to any laws that have been broken so that civil and criminal action can be taken.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 15, 2013
John Maranto answered:
Hi Robert, What would you like to know regarding the building or the area. Feel free to email me at or you can call me at 443 564 0952.

Best regards
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Kevin Willner answered:
There are several communities in and around Baltimore depending on your price range. In the city there are a few that that can be considered Gated and have private security services. They are Harbor Walk in Federal Hill/Inner Harbor, North Shore and Lighthouse Point in Canton. If you need anymore info please feel free to contact me via email or cell at 410-340-2201. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 23, 2008
Scott Godzyk answered:
Most insurance does not cover fraud. you should take advantage of a real estate attorney's free 1st consoltation and know what you have or done have for a case before spending alot of time and resources. good luck with working things out ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 2, 2008
Jane answered:
Mon Nov 5, 2007
Adelina Rotar answered:
I agree with Mansur; seek legal advice quickly.

What a Horrible situation. Like Ute said, if the REALTOR isn't reporting this amount as income, he'd be in trouble with the IRS. Also, the contractor must report his income as well, and, I'd imagine if he's getting paid cash, he's probably not reporting it (hence the cash).

Contact a lawyer immediately to see what direction to take. Without knowing more details, it sounds pretty unethical and illegal, but that's just my opinion. A lawyer will be able to give you straight forward answers. Good luck. I hope you get this resolved after putting so much money up. Let us know what happens.
Adelina Rotar
... more
1 vote 10 answers Share Flag
Search Advice