Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Broward County : Real Estate Advice

  • All148
  • Local Info8
  • Home Buying89
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 24
Wed Aug 10, 2016
Dorothycollins94 asked:
Thu Jun 16, 2016
Israel Antunez answered:
Thu May 19, 2016
Diane Christner answered:
Have you called other insurance companies? Some will refuse to insure a roof more than 15 years of age, but others do look at them on a case by case basis.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 11, 2016
MCM_STL answered:
Unless there is some product I'm not familiar with, "mortgage insurance" is something you only buy if you have less than 20% equity in your home. It's a policy to cover the lender's loss if you default on your loan not to pay off your mortgage. A quick google search revealed nothing that would indicate you can buy insurance just to pay off your house if one of you passes.

Why wouldn't you just pay off your mortgage from your existing life insurance proceeds? That sort of thing is one of the purposes of regular ole life insurance. I think specific pay-off insurance (like what credit cards sell you) is a major rip-off compared to a good life insurance policy.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Aug 6, 2015
Reed Kellough answered:
No there is not a website for this information. You can submit a claim through the city site but what would be faster and more beneficial is to call city hall and explain what you want to do. They will transfer you to the code enforcement department and someone there can also pull open, closed, and expired permits for a desired address for you right then, hope this helps! If you need anything else fee free to call me (954)242-0441

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 30, 2014
therz answered:
Boy I guess everything is cheaper in FL! In the NE around areas hit by Sandy, NY,NJ and CT the cost for flood certification cert can run anywhere from $800-$1500. I'm not sure what a full A-2 survey costs in FL either but that is around $2500 in this same area. I think it is really geographically dependent. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Maria Sabio answered:
hi Mark,

Check out this site for assistance in finding affordable insurance:

You can also read this article:

Thank you,
Maria Sabio
Chane Realty Inc
954-336-5156 [C]
888-440-0589 [F]
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Manuel Linares answered:
Hello Danny, although it may seem to be an unnecessary expense to have your home insured for flood insurance and Pierpointe homes are elevated from the ground, you may still benefit from flood insurance if you live in South Florida. Keep in mind that flood insurance covers water damage that may occur in your home due to an over-flowing toilet, roof leak that damages the interior of your home. For more information on what flood insurance (building & property) covers, you can click on the link below or ask your insurance agent. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Susan J Penn, PA,SFR,CDPE answered:
You can contact a survey company or a tile company and order a new elevation certificate, if you are unable to locate your current elevation certificate.

Susan Penn, PA, SFR
EWM Realtor
2000 Main Street
Weston, Fl 33326
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Tony Grech answered:
Go to JD Power @ Associates website and you can find claims satisfaction studies for large insurers. It's a very reliable ranking and you can do some more research yourself from there
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Sun May 26, 2013
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
NO - don't be confused by some previous answers......... you do not need RENTER'S insurance - you're an owner, NOT a tenant!!

Tenants only have to insure their personal property and be covered for liability.
You need a homeowner's policy!

You, as an owner, based on what you stated above, will need a policy that not only covers your personal property, that's part of the coverage............... but one that also covers rebuilding the unit from the sheet rock in, in the event of a partial or total loss. This would mean coverage for example, for a new kitchen , bathrooms, flooring, walls, painting, lighting, etc etc.......whatever it may take to rebuild the interior...also coverage to pay for you to stay elsewhere in the event the home isn't habitable.

You need to get a copy of the master insurance policy for the complex and verify what is and isn't covered.

Then............Speak to a local insurance agent - let him guide you.
... more
2 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed May 22, 2013
Barbara Easton-Irvin answered:
Hopefully, you have an HO6 policy which is required in most multi-family communities that covers damage to the inside of the units. You own the water heater not the HOA so I would assume that it is your responsible for any replacement, repair or damage caused by your water heater. Good Luck. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 18, 2013
John Bourassa answered:

I agree with Tim. $12,000 a year for a total homeowner insurance sounds excessive but maybe not for properties worth millions. Everything is relative to the cost replacement based on the value of your house and it.s contents. Say you have a newly built house over 3,000 sq. ft. with a $75K kitchen, marble flooring throughout, masterbathroom Worth $50K and what not plus you have about $100K + in furniture and electronics and another $100K + in artwork, than you would want to take premiums that would cover for those expensive losses; thus higher premium

The best way to find out about insurance in SE FLorida would be to call reputable insurance agents who could give you an idea of costs based on a home or condo value that you are planning to purchase and what would be your contents.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Derrick Johnson, PA answered:
Are you looking for your residence? Or a rental unit? A home that has multiple rentals (duplex, triplex, quadplex?), can require different insurance than a primary residence. The location of the home that you are looking to insure can have different qualifications (and even disqualifications).

I would suggest you contact a few local insurance brokers. There may be different companies for different properties and different brokers have connections with many different companies that may be able to help you.

Talking to an experienced insurance broker can help solve many questions. You can usually find well rated insurance brokers in the yellow pages, via /, contacting the local chamber of commerce and/or the local Better Business Bureau.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Donald Stevens answered:
The association's will have a master policy that will usually cover the actual building. You are usually responsible for the everything from the walls to everything else inside of the building. That could be cabinets, carpet, sinks, etc. How much coverage you need really depends on what the master policy covers. I always tell my clients to call the association and ask them what the master policy doesn't cover and how much of the deductible are you responsible for if your building burns down to the ground. This information will really help you get an idea of how much coverage you need. Many master policies are similar but they are not identical so the board will know or they will refer you to the agent who should know the answer.

Issue 2. You are going to have a tenant in your condo. Most condo insurance policies will only write an owner occupied condo. If you have a tenant, you may have to do a little work to find an agent who can help you. Many insurance companies want to insure your primary home to insure a condo rented to others so your best bet is to start with the agent that insures your home.

Issue 3. Are you furnishing the condo? The personal property coverage on your insurance policy should be for the appliances and furniture that you provide the tenant. You can't insure the tenant’s property, they have to buy a renters insurance policy to cover that. Also, always have your tenants buy renters insurance. It reduces your exposure especially if there is a fire or a bodily injury lawsuit because your insurance company can subrogate the claim.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Chad Gray answered:

Beate is correct, the Broward County Property Appraiser website is the best choice for locating property tax information for homes located in Broward county.

Here are instructions on locating property tax information on the website that might be helpful:

1. Visit

2. Select "Property Search" on the top navigation bar, located in the upper left of the website

3. Select "Address"

4. Enter the address of the property you are interested in learning the property tax information. Be sure to only enter the information requested for each field. This can be a bit tricky!

5. If you are interested in seeing the property tax information for neighboring homes, you can select "Next" or "Previous".

If you are looking at homes for sale, another option is to search for available real estate on our site ( There is a section titled "Features" that includes property tax information, among other useful details.

Let me know if you have questions!

Chad Gray, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 5, 2012
Nubia Rojas answered:
If you are buying a house you need to have it to purchase your flood insurance or you can ask the seller for it to save money. Nubia Rojas 954-854-0629
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
For flood zone areas, see links below for helpful information....
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 27, 2011
garypuntman answered:
I think that the cost will differ depending on the area and how much your home costs. You should do some research and see what different companies would charge you. You want to look into different policies and coverage as well. ... more
0 votes 22 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice