Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Houston : Real Estate Advice

  • All3K
  • Local Info307
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling130
  • Market Conditions77

Activity 19
Wed Jul 19, 2017
Missruffin39 answered:
I had a very bad dog injury an the homeowner refuse to give my attorney the insurance company name how can I get it he's giving my lawyer a very hard time the pitbull ripped off the back of my leg please help ... more
0 votes 33 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 25, 2017
Rquenna asked:
Tue Jun 6, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
No. You need to learn that HOA special assessments is the exact same thing as homeowners in NON HOA houses pay contractors to paint their house, reseal windows, repair their roof, shovel snow, etc. Insurance companies are in business to charge premiums in the unlikely event you suffer a loss. Premiums vary in price by the type of coverage you pay for.

If you owned a house with no HOA, it would be YOUR responsibility to pay for and maintain your home. The difference is as the owner, if you choose to neglect your home, you will suffer the consequences. In an HOA community, the home's are well maintained so nobody needs to suffer the consequences of neglect.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 30, 2017
Susie Kay answered:
I would suggest that you pick up the phone and call a couple insurance agents for clarification, the cost, and the coverage.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 13, 2016
starnold03 answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 6, 2015
Susie Kay answered:
I'm not sure what you meant. Are you trying to find out the name of the HOA for a certain community? You can try googling it.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jun 3, 2015
Jason Washington answered:
I would have to say contact an insurance agency as well as a lawyer. You need to know the law in your area. Although they may allow you to obtain the policy, it may not be the best law abiding decision. As if the second party had an issue with it under any circumstances something were to go wrong, you may be held liable in a civil court of law for monetary damages and casualties. What seems like it would be logically the thing to do sometimes takes a little more analytical skills to figure out. Wouldn't be the best decision without some type of agreement between the 2 of you in writing. It could come back to bite you later, like meeting your dream woman in a foreign country, and getting married to her without a prenup. And you're the millionaire! Get the proper advice from the right channels. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 3, 2015
Jason Washington answered:
Have the dogs attacked anyone or caused any issues within the neighborhood? This is something to consider before assuming they are vicious or a threat to an insurance policy. If they are a disturbance, and depending on where you live, you may want to check with the homeowners association to see what they're policy is for breeding animals within the neighborhood. They may need some type of permit in order to do so. May not solve your issue but it could raise awareness that this is going on and to watch out for the signs of a future issue that could arise. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 2, 2015
Megan Becerra answered:
I live nearby in the Washington Corridor. I would recommend Leash Yu with Nationwide (713) 688 8881 but I also have a recommendation for Farmers and one with Allstate if you have a particular preference. Hope that helps and good luck!

Megan Becerra
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 23, 2014
Gary Geer answered:
You will need to talk to an Insurance agent . You may want to get three estimates all from different companies. Keep the coverage amounts all the same to be able to compare apples to apples. They are more than willing to help you. Usually no cost for an estimate. All the best. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Nicole Ford answered:
Ron is absolutely correct about privacy issues from a Mortgagee as well as insurance carrier's perspective. Most counties have an online appraisal district website with public records of owners. Sometimes it is accurate and sometimes not, but definitely worth a shot if you can't speak with the owner about the matter directly. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Al Geffon answered:
Dalia ...

Please contact your insurance agent or a company representative for an explanation. Realtors are knowledgeable, but it's best to get in touch with an insurance specialist. Best of luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon May 27, 2013
Mark McNitt answered:
Typically you will not get dollar for dollar back when you remodel anything in a home, but kitchens and bathrooms are a sure bet getting 60%-70% on average.

This web site shows you cost VS return on many popular projects and in different ranges. This link is specific for the Houston area, but you can see other parts of the country.

A dollar per sqft recommendation is hard for anyone to answer because we have no idea what type of finishes, the size of the area, hidden problems with the area that may need to be addressed and more.

Last tip. Keep in mind the community and don't over upgrade! If you have a $200,000 kitchen remodel and the homes are only selling for $150, could be in big trouble. Check on the neighbors and speak to local Realtors to see what are the popular trends in the area.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 27, 2013
Nasyim Segal answered:
My experience in construction has lent me to believe that a good rule of thumb is $80/sqft. in most suburban neighborhoods. Once you get into the inner city Houston, and nearby neighborhoods that number can quickly jump up to $175/sqft. Land cost and comparable area properties will certainly assist you in determining your final budget.

Nasyim Segal, Broker Associate
Boulevard Realty
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 1, 2011
Donald Stevens answered:
From an insurance standpoint, most agents would write your llc with a commercial policy. The coverages are different from a the dwelling policies you have currently, but the coverages are more appropriate because a company has different liability risks than a person does. So you would need a commercial policy with property and liability coverage, you should investigate a commercial auto policy, and possible an umbrella to give you higher liability limits at a lower cost. Good luck. BTW, we are licensed in Texas if you need an agent to work with.

The Home Insurance Specialists
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu May 13, 2010
Rosa Jimenez answered:
It really depends on location, age, condition of your home.

I found going through a very good experience and saved quite a bit from the previous company I was with. So now I have cars, home and motorcycle insurnce through them.

You can get a quote online and customize it to fix your budget
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice