Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Foreclosure in Elk Grove : Real Estate Advice

  • All296
  • Local Info11
  • Home Buying133
  • Home Selling16
  • Market Conditions10

Activity 34
Thu Apr 20, 2017
Mary answered:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the erroneous foreclosure status on this property page. I apologize we have false foreclosure information listed on our home details page. This data is provided to us from Zillow foreclosures and we currently do not have the ability to edit or remove the information that they are sending us.

Please be advised that I have created a ticket request to remove the Foreclosure status of your property from their site. Once the status is removed from Zillow, it will automatically update to Trulia after 24-48 hours.

Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 25, 2016
My NC Homes Team answered:
You're about to lose your house and the money you've spent , you need to stop wasting your time online asking strangers who don't know anything about the specifics of your contract etc for advice when what you need to do is immediately go see an attorney. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 6, 2015
Michael Abramsky answered:
Eventually, yes. But, you will likely have to rebuild your credit and wait a few years after the foreclosure.

Just watch out for deficiency judgements.

Here's a little more info on Foreclosures:

Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 29, 2014
Mark Anderson answered:
You will want to sell the home.
If you do not know a Realtor, Trulia has an agent directory for your area here :
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 30, 2014
Doug Grace answered:
If you received a Notice of Default, you can be certain the bank has started the foreclosure process. You are in foreclosure. If you do nothing, the bank will sell your house at auction. I've been working with people in foreclosure for over 15 years, helping them avoid foreclosure. I see foreclosure sales happen every day because people didn't take action.

You need an expert on your side, who has dealt with banks and foreclosures. Take action sooner rather than later!
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 26, 2013
Bruce Slaton answered:
I wouldn't put too much faith in the PropertyRadar stats in regards to how long...while they are true, the also span across multiple new laws and the new CA Homeowners Bill Of Rights, the National Settlement, the Robosigning settlements. What homeowners are finding is the current processes are more refined and the process is taking much quicker than years past which can be a surprise.

Best of luck in your situation but I agree, it would be your best option to consider a short sale while you have the time

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 29, 2013
James Tan answered:
Hi Arminder,

Following through Sue's excellent answer, the best source of information on a property that is in foreclosure is actually at the sacramento clerk recorder's office and the assessor's office. Here you can search for any possible liens that are on the property. At the assessor, you can get information such as the owner's name and address, the property info, etc. There are also websites that you can subscribe to get more information on a foreclosed property. I have to caution you that IRS, FTB tax liens are not extinguished by a trustee sale. Also, a trustee sale may be initiated by a second lien holder, in which case, the buyer still has to pay off the first lien holder.

As you can see, there are a lot of issues that one would possibly have to deal with when buying at the court steps. Nowadays, there are a lot of people (professionals) out there buying at the court steps. The difference in price is no longer significant.

If you are looking for a reasonably new home in elk grove, I would suggest it is better to just buy through an agent on the MLS. The risks are much less, you can do inspections, and you have contingencies, etc.

Let me know if you need any further info,

James Tan
bethany real estate
916 230 5250
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 20, 2013
Aleena answered:
No, these properties are only for rent.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 10, 2013
Sue Archer Reynolds answered:
I believe the foreclosure process takes the same in all states...a total of 111 days. But understand this, by not paying your mortgage gives the lender the OPTION to foreclose. That foreclosure proceeding can take a minimum of 111 days but the lender can choose to delay it or not do it at all. In California statistics show the average foreclosure is 335 days.
Someone once asked if they could 'compel' the lender to foreclose. No, you can't. You have liability on the property until such time that the lender CHOOSES to execute their foreclosure option. Until such time, if someone trips or falls, you are liable. If your county or city files penalties against the property for it not being maintained you are liable.
With all of the options available, why would you not short sale the home instead? Take control of the timing of the process, have better results in terms of its affect on your credit, job opportunities and peace of mind, and be able to move on without fear of further collections from unpaid billings during the time that you owned the property. In a short sale, all bills are cleared. Go to for options available to you. Good luck.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 10, 2013
Jim Walker answered:
The zip codes for Plymouth, Minnesota are: 55446,55442,55447,55441.
This question was placed into the wrong zip code in California
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jun 19, 2013
Jim Walker answered:
This is my opinion, not insight: Buying RE at auction is risky. Buying without a title search and title insurance is riskier still.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu May 23, 2013
Michelle Wong Team answered:
To purchase a property in CA.
as a foreigner, you need to show :
*proof of funds to purchase
*electronic signature for signing contracts (email )
* for notarial service at closing, just go to US embassy.
It's really easy, we have help many people to purchase in US from Shanghai and Beijing.
Michelle Wong Agent with REmax
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu May 23, 2013
Michelle Wong Team answered:
It depends on the type of visa you carried, but calling the INS should be the right thing to do.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 26, 2013
Erikaellis30 answered:
There was an auction date set for 1/22/13 but it was postponed till 3/22/13 now I see he's done something to now its saying the "cancelled default" but we have spoke about the foreclosure and he kind of laughed and said" I know all the tricks there are to know about stretching this all the way out so don't worry". I don't trust that if he was just trying to keep his home there wouldn't be no tricks involved. I have a very large family can't afford to get caught in the middle of his tricks... ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Hena Martin answered:
My opinion is contact the agent your working with and allow her to assist you ,she/he could direct you in the right direction ,thanks HENA MARTIN BROKER
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Sue Archer Reynolds answered:
I must say you're getting alot of differing information here, and not all of it correct.

First, it appears, by you contributing financial information in their loan modification efforts, that you had co-signed on the loan. In that case, for them to continue with a loan modification, you would need to provide your financial information as well in order for it to be considered. There is simple ratios that would need to be calculated to see if they can qualify, or IF the loan mod would be sufficient to help your sister and brother in law get back on their feet in paying their mortgage.

I suggest you cooperate, and I also suggest you talk to Stephen Beede's office ( local attorney who specializes in explaing the legal remifications for a $200 consultation fee).

If the home forecloses, THAT IS THE ONLY ACTION THE BANK CAN TAKE (they can't do both). Unless you have a few million in the bank (NOT retirement funds) that could pay the house off, there is no possibllity that they would sue you, rather than foreclose on the home. (it's called a single action- foreclose on the house, or sue the mortgagees in court over the next 5 years. the lender can only do one or the other). As i assume their home isn't a million dollar mansion and you aren't the next Donald Trump, the lender will find it easier to foreclose rather than go after you personally.But that's just my opinion.

If you want to know the ratios that they will use to consider the viability of a loan mod, or possible short sale, then go to or call and I'll explain it to you.

But if I were you,and I co-signed on a loan, I'd prefer cooperating and do a loan mod or short sale over having a foreclosure kill my credit for the next 7 years as well as other ugly ramifications.

Sorry. You co-signed as a good deed, and now it's coming back to bite you.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Sue Archer Reynolds answered:
I think your question ought to be posted for Arizona real estate experts to answer. I can only answer according to CA real estate policies.

First, you can only expect the first to foreclose. The second can foreclose but that would only guarantee their position in second place, which it already is. To take full possession of the property would require for the second lienholder to pay off the first balance. Depending on if the house is upside down, none of that makes any sense. Therefore, it would be the first lienholder that would need to complete a foreclosure.

In California, tenance laws require that the lease be honored unless the new owner, who buys it at auction, actually plans to move into the property as their primary residence. That's rarely the case, therefore a tenant will have their lease honored for up to a year. If they're on a month to month rental, they have 90 days. It's ALWAYS a good idea to speak to an attorney about your rights, especially since the laws are different in different states.

Ethically, and legally, you are still required to pay your rent to comply with your contractual obligations, whether the home is in foreclosure or not. That is a separate contract from the owners contract known as their trust deed for which, when breached, generates a foreclosure.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 5, 2012
Brenda Koster answered:
Please know I am not a lawyer and you really should speak to one. That said, please give me a call 916-284-9788 to discuss what I believe your options may be......
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice