Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Foreclosure in Decatur : Real Estate Advice

  • All349
  • Local Info47
  • Home Buying72
  • Home Selling8
  • Market Conditions19

Activity 15
Wed Jan 27, 2016
Scott Godzyk answered:
Most often the foreclosure and modification departments are not working together, but in different locations. They would have had to post your foreclosure notice per your state law, they do not always notify you in person. You should seek out a lawyer today who can assist you to see if everything was or was not legal ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 26, 2015
Rick Baker answered:
You might want to check with us at Coldwell Banker. As part of the largest Real Estate firm in the world we can do things that others can not. We are unique in that we are the only brokerage that funds our own mortgages AND then never sell the mortgage later. So we can write our own rules!!
If you wish please give me a call and I can direct you to a local Coldwell Banker office that will give you an HONEST no-cost and no obligation assessment.

I am with Coldwell Banker Dallas but if you wish to talk to one of the great mortgage people at Coldwell Banker in your area please call me. We maintain a list of the top people in each market since Coldwell Banker does so many cross country relocations. Since it has Coldwell Banker's name on it you can be sure it is going to be honest and straight forward. Every situation is different but Coldwell Banker Home Loans has approved people much sooner than other lenders because again we are writing the rules for ourselves.

My number is 972-836-8880
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 19, 2013
Becky Johnson answered:
My company specializes in helping individuals that have less than perfect credit. We have partnered with several lenders that offer loan products to borrowers with credit scores as low as a 580. If you would like us to refer you to a couple lenders that can help you please visit our site or email/call me anytime! Hope to help you out! Take Care! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
You can contact the listing agent who will be able to help you learn more about that specific property (and probably will know a lot about similar properties in the area). To find an agent, just click on the yellow button on the property's Trulia listing and you will be able to start a dialogue.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help with anything else. I am happy to be a resource for you. Good luck with the search!

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 30, 2012
Tim Moore answered:
Actually many banks service a loan for other banks so just because the one you make payments to is not always the one that has the loan on the house. Most owners know this because every now and then they have to send payments to different places though out the life of the mortgage. County deeds will have the new owner when the new deed is recorded. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 14, 2010
Bill answered:
I heard that a new owner has bought the place and is renovating it, All new plumbing, electrical, new everything including granite counter tops. I also heard he was going to finance them himself. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 3, 2010
Jason Fritz answered:
Hi Des, My name is Jason Fritz. I am a licensed General Contractor and HUD 203k Consultant in Georgia. We have completed hundreds of 203k projects and offer very competetitive pricing as well as excellent customer service and overall project satisfaction. I would love the opprotunity to discuss your project with you.
You can visit our websites at or
or call me directly at 678-873-5260.
Thanks, and Good Luck.
Jason Fritz
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 8, 2010
Dp2 answered:
Many investors do this all of the time. However, the ones that do typically have established relationships with those lenders, and they usually buy with all cash. Yet, there are other ways to acquire them, but that will depend upon the current status of the property.

Please feel free to PM me for more details.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 15, 2009
Chuck Green answered:
You can go online to check out tax records in most metro counties, go to the court house or county office, contact your realtor,or call me and I'd be haapy to help you through the process of purchasing the property.

Chuck Green, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 11, 2009
Keith Manson- Metro Milwaukee Wisconsin answered:
The bank does not own the property until it goes to Foreclosure sale. So any attempt to contact the bank would be worthless. Prior to the foreclosure sale, you must contact the owner of the property for a potential pre foreclosure sale that will need to be approved by the bank.

If you want to take risks you can go to the auction, but I would suggest not doing that unless you are knowledgable about foreclosures, real estate , title and or evictions. Or at a minium find a buyers agent that will represent you. The other option is buyer a Foreclosed Real estate owned (REO) property and I would suggest to hire a buyers agent for that too.

Good Luck

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certified Distressed Property Expert
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 8, 2009
Stephanie McCarty answered:
Buying an REO property, even for a professional, can be frustrating. You don't stand a chance if your offer is not prepared correctly or missing documentation required by the lender. They simply will not consider the offer and you'll probably never hear a word from them.
Work with a buyer agent who has experience and understands the process and customary practices if you want to win at this game.

Stephanie McCarty
Accredited Buyer Representative
REMAX Greater Atlanta
email me privately at
404-457-8089 cell
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 8, 2009
Stephanie McCarty answered:
I'm going to be brutally honest here because you sound like a nice lady who really wants to understand what's going on. I am in complete agreement with the other agents who answered you - you definitely need to hire your own buyer agent if you are seriously ready to buy.
Here's why:
we get calls 24/7 mostly from people who just want some quick information or to see a house right away, and we never hear from them again. I don't know what business you are in, but in our business, we get paid by commission ONLY. We don't get paid by our broker to run out at the drop of the hat to show a house to someone we have no working relationship with and may never hear from again. Quite frankly, we get tired of being used and that is basically what it amounts to MOST of the time.
There are exceptions. Some people will ask to see a property and actually remain loyal to the agent who assists them and work with that agent to close on either that property or another one. This is the exception these days, not the rule.
If you want the best service, the best advice, and the highest level of competency, find a good accredited buyer representative, meet with him or her, get preapproved by their preferred lender, and enjoy an amazingly simple experience, all while getting the best deal of your life!
There really is no upside to trying to do this on our own. Banks actually prefer that buyers be represented.
Good luck.
Stephanie McCarty
Accredited Buyer Representative
REMAX Greater Atlanta
email me directly at

REMAX Greater Atlanta
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon May 18, 2009
. answered:
You have some tough issues to get over. My suggestion is that you find a Realtor that is familiar with the geographical area you want to stay in. Rural areas outside of Decatur may be a good place to start looking.

Broker Associate
South Est FL
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jan 19, 2009
Linda Slocum, CRS, CDPE | Santa Clarita Realtor answered:
There are actually two times when you can request repairs on a bank-owned (REO) property.

Your purchase agreement (offer) should include any major repairs that you would like the seller (bank) to complete for you before you take possession of the property. If any other significant items come up during the inspection process, you can prepare an addendum requesting additional work to be done. If requesting additional work after your offer has been accepted, be sure to include quotes from at least 2 licensed contractors.

Be aware that the bank has an incentive to complete repairs in order to either make the property sell faster or to preserve the property (i.e. leaking roof or termite repairs). Anything else is not likely to be considered. Also, the bank will not give you cash back to make the repairs yourself - the bank-authorized repairs will need to be completed before the property transfers ownership to you. This means that you may get new carpet, but it will be standard medium-grade neutral-tan carpet instead of whatever you've set your heart on at the local store.

As others have said, use a realtor so all of these requests are handled correctly, or the bank will not consider them.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Foreclosure in Decatur Zip Codes