Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

For Rent in Memphis : Real Estate Advice

  • All668
  • Local Info61
  • Home Buying232
  • Home Selling32
  • Market Conditions24

Activity 21
Mon Sep 26, 2016
Angelica P answered:

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I am happy to help you get your listing posted on Trulia.

If you would like to post a rental on Trulia, you will be redirected to use our partner site, Zillow Rental Manager, to list your rental on Zillow, Trulia and other top sites. Please follow this link for instructions on how to post a rental listing:

If you have additional questions or have issues with posting your listing, please reply back to this email and I will be happy to help you.

Zillow Rental Manger Help:

For future reference, you can feel free to contact us about this type of inquiry through our contact form here:

Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 28, 2016
Sheila Moore asked:
Looking for 2 bedroom townhouse in outer Memphis Tennessee to rent. Prefe new construction or fairly new. Quiet. Less than $825 per month
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun May 22, 2016
Pennyog25 asked:
Hi, im in need of finding a property to rent in Memphis tn. I have a section 8 voucher for a 1Bd but can do a 2Bd. The voucher is for $665. Im trying to live in a good area, avoiding south…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 28, 2016
Keaona Allen asked:
Mon Feb 2, 2015
Keara_whitaker15 asked:
Wed Jun 11, 2014
Terri Vellios answered:
You should contact a local full time Realtor to determine if your price point is reasonable.

Rent to Own is rare in a seller’s market and in a high demand rental market. Where rent to own comes into play is when a seller can not or decides not to sell at this current time and wants to get a tenant that will likely pay above market rate for rent and put up money to lock in an agreed to sale price option.

This is how that works. The Seller and Buyer will agree to an option, say in one year the Buyer has an option of turning the lease into a purchase contract. The purchase contract terms are agreed to now. The price, etc. In the contract the Buyer agrees to pay an option, usually this option can be equivalent earnest money and often is higher than a security deposit. Example $5,000. This option money will be applied to any down payment when the option is exercised. In addition the buyer and seller (landlord/tenant) agree that a portion of the rent will be applied to the future purchase price. Example, rent is $1200 but tenant will pay $1500 with $300 going towards the future purchase price. In one year if the Buyer/Tenant decides to exercise their option to purchase than the option money, in this example $5000 plus the option rent $300 x 12 = $3,600 then $8,600 would be considered down payment on the purchase. In the event the Buyer does not exercise their option the $3,600 is not returned, and what ever was agreed in the $5,000 option is either returned or not, per contract.

You will have two contracts, one is the lease the other is the purchase contract with an addendum for lease purchase option.

If home values go up this is a win for the Buyer as they have locked in a lower purchase price. It’s not great for the seller because the seller has locked up their property and can’t rent or sell during the option period. Also if prices go up they are selling at a loss.

If prices go down a buyer may not want to exercise their option to buy and then may forfeit the option money.

The other part of the answer is financing. Some lenders will finance and some may not. If you do have a seller carry back it may be at a higher rate and I highly encourage you to have the documents drawn up by a professional skilled in that type of transaction.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 7, 2014
Verna Littleton answered:
I would first ask what part of town are you trying to rent in? As you know, rent varies based on the location of the home. I would also like to talk more about what your credit is like. Property Management companies will still want to pull credit even though they may not look at it as heavily as a bank would. Please call or email me to discuss. I have over 14 years in the business and can steer you in the right direction!!

Verna Littleton
ERA Legacy Realty
901-490-9449 cell
901-795-5050 office
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Aug 9, 2013
Linda Hughes asked:
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Sandra J. Karns answered:
I have a listing at 1952 Jackson Avenue in the Vollintine-Evergreen Historic District just in back of Rhodes College for $1,495 per month. It is 2500sf, w/hardwood floors and 9' smooth ceilings throughout, completely new kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 24x16 gameroom, central air/gas heat, covered porch, swimming pool, guest house, double garage, and privacy fenced yard. No pets are allowed. This property and others may be viewed on Trulia, Zillow,, Homes, com, as well as the Commercial Appeal website and 2 or 3 other real estate websites. If you would like further information, please contact my office at 901/454-6501 and I will be happy to help you.

Sandra J. Karns
Broker/Property Manager
River City Real Estate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Nov 27, 2012
rhm739 answered:
The question is not where can you find a great section 8 house to rent, it's where can you find a still great house 6 months after a voucher holder gets a hold of it? What happened to the last house you were in, wrecked it. The house before that, wrecked it. Until some rules are put in place that regulate section 8 users and not just landlords you will continue to be the scourge of the neighborhood. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Denise Richardson answered:
8 S. Third Street, Ste 101
Memphis, TN 38103

Please call (901)604-8371 before you come.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Denise Richardson answered:
It's difficult to answer this question because it depends; do you want to buy a home or rent a home. Basically all housing is income based. Call me to give more info about this.
Denise S. Richardson
Crye Leike Realttors
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 24, 2012
Maureen Gillespie answered:
There are two rentals available in that area. You can check them out. 3566 Rockwood Ave & 3582 Rockwood Ave, 38122 appointment call. 901-272-0100 Agent is Scott King 901-282-7376 He can help you. The others you list are not available on any of my lists. If there is a sign in the yard, you should contact the person on the sign. Hope this help. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 11, 2011
Steven Ford answered:
Try Craigslist and put your criteria in the search bar. Some rentals are listed in the MLS....ask a realtor friend to check then for you.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 20, 2010
Bill Eckler answered:

Usually neighbors can be a pretty good resource for situations like these. Generally there is someone that is keeping an eye on things for the owner. Someone may be able to provide you with the contact information you need.

Good luck
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 5, 2009
Ytutt answered:
go to or a real estate agent.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 13, 2009
Jo Shaner answered:
I have used Bluff City for several of my out of town investors and they rave about them. Their number is 901-261-7904 or 901-261-7905. Mark or Wendy can hook you up.

Best wishes,

Jo Shaner
Lipsey Shaner Team. LLC
Keller Williams Realty
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Arlingtonite answered:
There are areas as well in Lakeland that are zoned to Bon Lin Elementary. If you find a particular property either in Bartlett or Lakeland, you can look on the Shelby County Schools website to see what school that particular house is zoned for in order to ensure your child will attend Bon Lin. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice